1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our house is a very fine house -- RUNNING THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Re: Our house is a very fine house -- now bring gifts

Went to my first one of these a couple weeks ago. It seemed fun, but it wasn't my house and I didn't have to provide food.

What happens at these things, as I understand them from my limited dealing, is that people put on some dress casual clothes, wrap a bottle of wine or some other pretentious gift in expensive wrapping paper, eat shrip and other finger foods and act really high falootin' as they make small talk about stocks and sports and all that stuff nobody really cares about.

About two hours into it the beer and/or wine kicks in and somebody suggest shots. At this point the house warming turns into a fraternity party complete with 50-something hostess dancing in the living room and having a bossom pop out of her shirt. A few people leave early, a few people stay late and a few more pass out on the couch in the living room. Perhaps one passes out on the sun room couch.

Good times. I was shocked at how much fun it could be.

EDIT to clarify: I was not passed out on the sun room couch. I swear. Mrs. Ferguson and I left before people started passing out.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I always like to bring 2 cats for the yard.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

BTW, thanks, Slappy, for putting that tune in my head. I won't go so far as to wish a pox on your house, since it's new and all, but I will issue this curse: May the breath of a thousand camels invade your gas mask. Now, I think a coupla Queen CDs are around here somewhere ...

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That used to be so hard.

5. Re: Our house is a very fine house -- now bring gifts

Just don't invite Graham Nash to sing that particular piece of bullpucky.

6. Boom_70

but now its easy.

Neal Young has to share part of blame here for this crap. when they talk of great all time artists this is a real black mark on his record.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If he was in any way responsible for the career(s) of Bob and Doug MacKenzie, that would be worse. But not by much.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think if that song plays in our very fine house, Ms. Slappy would toss whatever its playing on over the cats and across the yard...
    Just need to make sure its neither one of my computers...

9. Boom_70

Maybe she would just light a fire to it.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Boom, how I wish you and yours would be here for this special Southern moment,...

True story today: Was planning on making some food for this (a friend of Ms. Slappy's is throwing this and is planning on most of the eats, but I'm not going to sit around), quick and dirty... Justin Wilson's Coleslaw, ham, cream cheese and asparagus rollups and Green bean, tomato and redskin potato salad with vermouth dressing -- simple for me to make, nothing I havent done before.
    Ms. Slappy says " This is the South. We dont eat all that fancy stuff like the potato salad and that ham stuff..."
    Slappy: "Just who exactly did you invite....

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Potato salad is "fancy"?

How far from Toronto? Can I make it in 15 minutes? You know, like Tahoe.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, this is a little elaborate -- more vinagrette than mayonaise..

From Toronto in actual miles about 1,000, so yeah. 15 minutes is about right....

Bring some Coffee Crisp, Mackintosh's toffee and Brador... I'd be ever so grateful

Draft saved Draft deleted