1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our friend Phil's racist rant about Jay-Z's Nets raising eyebrows

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've heard that accusation more than once. It's crap.

IJAG has a lot of friends here, and it's for good reason. She's there for a lot of people.

I probably wasn't there for her the last time, and she may still be upset at me for that. I accept responsibility for being too analytical as opposed to being there for a friend and not doing a better job of ignoring the physical situation at hand, and I hope she'll understand that in due time.

I've heard caucasians use the "N" word, and it only shows extreme ignorance. Not really happy minorities use it, either, but I haven't walked a mile in their shoes - or even a couple of steps, for that matter - so I'll withhold further judgment.

The issue is that for those who don't read Phil Mushnick on a regular basis, the column came across with a world-class level of ignorance. I'm not sure anyone should have to possess a thorough dossier of a columnist or writer or have it understood that everyone who reads a piece knows the writer's background. In summary, what he wrote was ignorant, shallow and ill-conceived and I openly question the publication's decision to run it as it was. With a little more background or a little more explanation, the piece might have had a better chance ... that's not to excuse Mushnick in any way, shape or form, though.

But Smasher ... what is with that last line of your post? That defines "ridiculous." Trying entirely too hard to be something you're not. I've heard it too many times in real life, and it applies here too, rarely more than in this instance.

Feel free that being ridiculous was your intention ... still not terribly bright.

Signed,

Not IJAG's apologist ( ... though there's no way she's among the most hated on this board)

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Long, yet pointless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.