1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OTL, E-ticket, please find new topics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silentbob, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Works for me.

Irish wakes in "The Wire" were a nice change o'pace. (Oops, don't mean to tread on Simmons' territory.)

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've noticed the network seems to be doing an awful lot of them as well. I hate to channel OJ, but people die every day. Just because someone who is grieving has a connection to sports doesn't make that any more or less significant.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, but it makes it something that would be covered by a sports outlet, right?

I mean, if you're saying don't do any stories like this at all on any level with any background, fine. But I don't think a sports outlet doing a story on an athlete dealing with death makes it more important than the layman doing so. But the layman doesn't get covered by said sports outlet.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The wire story takes the trouble to mention the make and model of the victim's vehicle, but it doesn't tell us the sticker price of the car. Why throw one detail out there without the proper context? I assume the Infiniti SUV in question is rather expensive, but I'd like to know how expensive. If it's feasible that Pata did, in fact, pay for the car with the proceeds of his gigs in construction et al, let me know that. Personally, I must admit I'm skeptical because under NCAA rules, silly as they may seem, student-athletes are generally precluded from earning large sums of money during the normal academic year.
    If none of this is relevant to the story, then dispense with the Infiniti SUV reference.

5. silentbob

silentbob Member

I have no problem with newspapers/web sites running these stories, I just think they need to be spaced out. ESPN.com's story on the Miami player might have been the story of the year, but I didn't bother reading it because I feel like I've read that story five times already.

6. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

This is very interesting. I wrote the referenced Lyman Bostock story ... and I also agree with what you're saying. The stories are sort of irresistible, because they combine nostalgia, tragedy, sentimentality, etc. And yet, it is easy to fall into the trap where you write these sort of things too often. There's always another Bostock, Bias, Thurman Munson, Mike Darr, etc waiting to be written; always another anniversary of a death or plane crash that a story can be tied to.

I love reading them and love writing them, but, again, you're right. We all probably go to that well too often.

7. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

It's not just the mind-numbing succession of pieces revolving around death and dying, it's the revisits to these same stories one, five, 10, 20 years later. The business is guilty of that crap, too. Just as reprehensible, in my mind, is athletes who, when they're in a slump, let it be known that they've got something weighing on their mind: That "my half brother from my father's fourth marriage got in a car accident six months ago and sustained such a serious head injury that he think's he's my full brother."

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

On further review, two of three e-tix I've written have a death quotient. That said, neither was simply an "anniversary" piece ... the first was about two teenage athletes coping with a scout's suicide (a scout who had befriended them) and the other a town's and team's discomfort/denial in their token marking of the 20th anniversary of a bus crash that claimed four players' lives. Neither was particularly a simple life story of someone past--I don't see big merits in that. They were stories about the living coping with something death out of the ordinary. OTL thing I'm working on now has a death that's on a tangent rather than focus. I'm .500 with an asterisk I guess.

YD&OHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted