1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Others receiving votes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

At the bottom of the preseason AP Top 25:

Others receiving votes: Alabama 141, Utah 52, Boston College 41,
    Georgia Tech 39, Boise St. 23, Arkansas 18, Wisconsin 18, South
    Carolina 15, Tulsa 11, Texas A&M 10, BYU 4, Purdue 4, UTEP 4, Iowa
    St. 3, Mississippi 3, N. Illinois 3, Michigan St. 2, Arizona 1.

I realize this is way down the list of things to worry about, but soooooo many fans (and writers) mistakenly say (and write) Mississippi received 3 votes -- when in fact, it might be three votes for No. 25, one vote for No. 23 or a vote for No. 24 and a vote for No. 25. In fact, Mississippi received three points.

Should this be explained more clearly? Others receiving points? Or, as follows?

Others receiving votes (numbers represent point totals, not necessarily total votes): Alabama 141, Utah 52, Boston College 41, Georgia Tech 39, Boise St. 23, Arkansas 18, Wisconsin 18, South Carolina 15, Tulsa 11, Texas A&M 10, BYU 4, Purdue 4, UTEP 4, Iowa St. 3, Mississippi 3, N. Illinois 3, Michigan St. 2, Arizona 1.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Whoever voted for Arizona should have his/her vote revoked.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good point raised with this topic.
    I'd like to know how the totals are tallied, too.
    I think the voters should have their polls posted each week.
    It's not like a presidential or political election, where we need to be secretive.
    Well, come to think of it, it is sort of political.
    I'd like to know who voted for Ole Miss.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not necessary Johnny because of this statement at the top of the rankings:

The Top 25 teams in The Associated Press preseason college football poll, with first-place votes in parentheses, 2005 records, total points based on 25 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 25th-place vote, and final ranking:

That would imply that the number for others receiving votes is not not but points.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Most papers who have votes will publish their votes. I know the DMN does (I think it was Whitmire who voted). Can't help you on Ole Miss.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I agree with Blitz. All AP Top 25 voters should be forced to run their weekly ballot in their newspaper or on their website.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Those two points for Sparty will be outed in late September when the clown who voted them 24th says "SEESEEITOLYAITOLYA"
    And in early November, the rest of us will be laughing like this guy...
    [​IMG]

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, they'll probably lose to either Idaho or EMU before getting de-pantsed by ND. ;D

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I think the bigger question here is who the hell would be voting for Ole Miss, which went 3-8 last season and has almost no shot at winning more than five games this season.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I understand that, but even with that disclaimer, fans and writers still refer to the bottom numbers as votes, not points. To me, this means they need to be hit over the head with the fact.

And the person(s) who voted for Ole Miss? Hit over the head with anything handy.

Draft saved Draft deleted