1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Other than Michael Jordan, who is the best NBA player since 1990?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Until last week, I would have said Kobe or LeBron.

Now, I say Kobe because he never felt the need to play elsewhere to get a title and he's done what people said he couldn't, by winning without Shaq.

Also, if I needed a player to take a final shot, I would want Kobe to take it a thousand times more than James.

Thoughts, and what other players should be mentioned here? Shaq? Duncan? Nash? Nowitzki? Iverson? Malone?

2. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

As much as I hate to admit it, It's Kobe.

But Tim Duncan, who may the most underwhelming NBA star ever, is a very close second. Hasn't he led the Spurs to three titles?

Shaq also deserves mention, but his overall skills aren't as good as Duncan's.

3. Mizzougrad96

It's very easy to forget about Duncan. Jason Kidd should be in this conversation too.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2907154

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Four.

Although the first championship team (1999) was more of a David Robinson-led team with the Admiral in his prime and Duncan coming into his own in his second year.

6. Mizzougrad96

True, but they worked it out.

I hate Kobe as much as anyone, but he's managed to stay in the same place for his entire career and has a truckload of titles.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Best basketball player or best resume?

Because if we're just talking about the player, I don't see what off-the-court moves have to do with it. James may have tarnished his legacy and his resume, but he didn't become a better or worse basketball player when he switched teams.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Kobe's with the Charlotte Hornets?

People forget that the Lakers were actually good at the time that Kobe was drafted. They went to the playoffs and were bounced by the Rockets. Charlotte, at the time, wasn't even in the playoffs.

But, yeah, Kobe didn't need to make sure he went to a winner when given the chance... ::)

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Duncan and Hakeem would be on my short list with Kobe and Shaq.

I would probably take Duncan, though.

10. Mizzougrad96

The Hornets drafted him so they could trade him to LA for Divac. It wasn't like Charlotte wanted him and I remember at the time reading that if LA hadn't agreed to the trade that Kobe might have fallen toward the bottom of the first round.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This was all because Kobe was never going to play for Charlotte. He made it patently clear that it would never happen.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

For me it's Tim Duncan, sports' most overlooked superstar.

After that I would say Shaq and it's not because he is overly skilled, it's because with his size he absolutely dominated for the better part of two decades.

Draft saved Draft deleted