1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar Night 2010

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to go to the movie theater weekly. With kids, that's impossible. The only of those films I saw in the theater were Up, Avatar, Inglorious Basterds and District 9. Avatar is the only movie I've seen in the theaters since the Summer.

The others I downloaded or saw on DVD. I have friends who send me copies of screeners. I still have not seen A Serious Man.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My wife and I have very different taste in movies. Over the last 6 months we have seen Avatar together and that's it.

I don't watch Mad Men so did not trealize it was a Don Draper thing but I cut out of the office once a month to catch movies. When I went to Inglorioius Basterds I was running late and walked in without paying as the understaffed theatre had a big line and I did not want to miss the beginning.

Hurt Locker is at an "artsy" type theatre that I will probably visit next week.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hurt Locker is on DVD.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As a guy who works in the periphery of the movie business, I lift my glass in your honor, sir. Bravo!

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Cutting out of the office to go home an watch a movie is not quite as much fun.

In the theatre I don't have my blackberry on, phone won't ring, won't get distracted.

The whole willing suspension of disbelief is easier.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Once mom passes, just take him out for some fishing.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Three best stories about trying to keep the streak going: 1986 I was covering a fight in Vegas and hadn't seen Kiss Of the Spider Woman in first run. It was playing at some theater off the strip so I took a cab down and watched the movie. But I couldn't get a cab to come pick me up. It didn't look that far from where I was to the strip, but it's one of those desert things -- things are much farther than they seem. I must have walked 3 miles before I finally found a cab to take me back to my hotel.
    In 1999 I hadn't seen Elizabeth and was covering the NCAA East Regional at the Meadowlands. The movie was playing on the Upper West Side. I took a bus to the Port Authority, a cab up to the East 80s and saw the movie, then walked back 40 blocks to Times Square because it was a nice day.
    In 2002, my wife and I rented Moulin Rouge, watched the first 12 minutes and turned it off. Hated it. But then it got nominated, so I had to see it. But I was bogged down covering the NCAAs so I carried a DVD of it around with me for about a week. I finally watched it on my computer about 3 a.m. on Friday before Indiana beat Kent State in the regional finals. That was the first one in the streak that I hadn't seen on a theater screen.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow - just watched Hurt Locker. A 2 hour adrenaline rush. Best picture was well deserved.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Start at the 2 minute mark.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

(shudders)

Draft saved Draft deleted