1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather fight / HBO 24/7 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Apr 16, 2007.

?

Who is going to win the upcoming superfight between Oscar DLH & Floyd Mayweather?

1. Oscar by KO

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. Oscar by decision

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Draw

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Floyd by KO

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. Floyd by decision

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Hey all,

Been waiting for this fight for a while and we are closing in now.

Just watched 1st HBO 24/7 (after the best shows on TV Sopranos/Entourage)inside the training camps of both fighters leading up to the fight next month. It has me fired up! This is clearly a defining fight for both.

Who do you have. Bust some votes on the poll above.

I am going with Oscar DLH, but man its razor close.

I think ultimately, Oscars heart, punching power, size, and technical ability.accuracy will win the day.

However, we could see a replay of DLH vs. Mosley (or worse) with Floyd's better speed. Plus age becomes a Q for Oscar.

However, DLH has looked spectacular in his last fights.

What do you think?

As for the HBO 24/7 well worth watching as it breaks down both camps in detail Golden boy vs boxing's "bad boy." Floyd is loving being the heel and is taking things to another level.

The clip of the night was watching Floyd bust out a "golden girl" chicken at the press conference and talking trash to it in front of Oscar. Trust me, that was just for openers.

Some bad blood is brewing.

JDV

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Hey bro!

I sure hope ODLH wins, but I have to go with PBF

3. John D. Villarreal

Yo Rok! (pun intended)

Yeah, certainly a very logical conclusion. Floyd has the speed and is best PFP.

However, Floyd has trouble with guys that are technical boxers. Floyd also has trouble with guys that bring the fight to him, and most importantly this fight will be at the highest weight ever for PBF.

That last point CANNOT be overlooked.

Size matters a ton. That is why there are weight classes. Someone like Mosley found that out as did many others. You start moving up and all of the sudden you are not walking over people anymore.

Plus, ODLH is not as fast as PBF but he is darn fast and just a notch behind.

last but not least who does Oscar now have in his corner? Right, his business partner B-hop. B-hop is a master of breaking you down and using quasi-dirty tricks to lure you into the deep water.

I think the same can happen here if Oscar uses the Julio Cesar Chavez model and just bangs Floyd to the body (ala B-hop) to slow him down and take him apart. Remember Oscar has a crushing left hook to the body.

No Q it is going to be a hell of a fight.

Certainly possible Floyd makes a case for having the fight rebroadcast on the speed channel, but speed, while it is likely the most important component, is also the most fleeting esp. with PBF's lifestyle.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

JDV is back to CREAM us with his ORAtory skill . . . . . . .

De La Hoya, for certain, selfish reasons.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Like the new avatar. Hope you had fun, she's a cute girl.

You going to that chick's thing in Vegas? That's this weekend, I think.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't the both of you have cell phones?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or a carrier pigeon?

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

We don't always use them, or we just see each other unexpectedly. I had no idea he was coming on here tonight, and hadn't talked to him in awhile.

9. John D. Villarreal

Yeah, she is hot - another model. Also really smart, a member of Mensa - love that!

I had a blast & have a better pic but not sure SportsJournalists.com is ready for it - lol.

Of course, maybe Ragu can tell me how she is not hot like the last one (that is in major ad campaigns) or can "improve" her looks under his tutelage...ha ha ha.

I am SURE the women are beating down that dude's door the way he fills out those shirts - lol, especially living with mom. Course, maybe Armani can take some tips from his style as well. Maybe its those hot paper signs. You know if your grill is that bad you could wear a paper bag (is he the Unknown Comic now?)

Anyway, I AM KIDDING - so don't even start I just find it all so amusing that the hater's keep hating no matter how voluminous the facts in opposition to their hate, even after I repeatedly try to be cool. Oh well, I will go back to ignoring now just in a fun/silly mood tonight.

Don't think I can make Vegas this weekend but need to soon. I have to sign two new deals this week and work on the big deal that I can't talk about here.

If that one gets done I am flying the whole crew into Vegas for a big party & then some.

Hopefully, the start of many good things - this year looks to be off the chain. My training is going strong 350x5 raw on bench last week (although as you know not really focused on lifting heavy now just light-medium) and BF% is dropping while weight is stable @ 216. Diet is tight & hitting cardio 5-7 times a week now. I think the end result will be 210 shredded by end of May in time for Summer.

Right, so now just buried in work but soon the Vegas run will happen & I have like 4-5 ladies + parties/clubs lined up when I get free.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Indeed. I'd be willing to bet a week's pay that hugging is all JDV did with her.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, at $200 an hour, she better have made him smile.

Draft saved Draft deleted