1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Osama says we should convert to Islam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Join The Flat Tax Revolution!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Osama should convert to dirtnapping.

But, he's not all that important to Fredo, so I'm probably mistaken . . . I'm sure I don't know as much
    as Mama's/Bubble-Boy . . .

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Islam has expanded through the sword (or threat of) for centuries upon centuries. This is standard procedure amongst Muslims fighting non-Muslims. Give them a chance to convert before you attack them.

To them, their reasoning is this: we did give you a chance to see the light and since you didn't......

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

::) ::)
    I hate it when I see stuff like tihs. There are many non-Muslims, such as yourself, that when they think about Islam, they picture religious fanatics on camels with a sword in one hand and a Qur'an in the other. This myth(which was made popular in Europe during the Crusades) is totally baseless. First of all, the Qur'an clearly says "Let there be no compulsion in religion". It also states that Islam teaches that a person's faith must be pure and sincere, so it is certainly not something that can be forced on someone. In debunking the myth that Islam was "spread by the sword". There is a well known (non-Muslim) historian by the name of De Lacy O' Leary who once wrote "History makes it clear, however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of the sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myths that historians have ever accepted." It should also be known that Muslims ruled Spain for roughly 800 years. During this time, and up to when they were finally forced out, the non-Muslims there were alive and flourishing. And dont' forget that Christian and Jewish minorities have survived in the Muslim lands of the Middle East for centuries. Countries such as Egypt, Morocco, Palestine, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan all have Christian and/or Jewish populations.

If Islam taught that all the people that they should be forced to become Muslims or be killed, then how did all of these non-Muslims survive for so long in the middle of the Islamic Empire? Also, if one considers the small number of Muslims who initially spread Islam from West(Spain and Morroco) to the East(India and China), one would realize that they were far too few to force people to be members of a religion against their will. Additionally, the great empire and civilization established by the Muslims had one great thing to it: Its citizens were proud to be part of it. I should also note that when the Mongols invaded and conquered large parts of the Islamic Empire, instead of destroying the religion, they adopted it. This was a very unique occurrence in history because the conquerors adopted the religion of the conquered. Since they were the victors, they certainly could not have been forced to become Muslims. The largest Muslim country in the world today is Indonesia and there were never any battles fought there.

P.S. I'm really not trying to offend anyone, but look at Christianity, who since the time of the Emperor Constantine made liberal use of the sword and based their conduct on Biblical verses. This was especially shown by the colonization of S. America and Africa, where native peoples were systematically wiped out or forced to convert.

5. Chuck, then, let me ask you.
    Why does Islam seem to be such an easy vehicle for fanaticism in the modern era? Given the staggering poverty and the legacy of colonialism in the region, why don't we see any purely secular revolutionaries? Why do they all gussy up their politics with religion? (For example, for most of the years of the Irish struggle, the nationalists were resolutely non-sectarian, except in the north, where strict religious apartheid made that impossible.)

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

F_B, I was going to ask Chuck whether he was aware of the concept and application of dhimmitude under various Muslim rulers/states; but I like your question better.

Chuck's in a learning mode. I hope he's studying broadly.

7. T2

T2 Member

I wonder if it might be a cultural mindset. The people in question won't follow a revolutionary who refuses to base his appeal on following Islam. Likewise, the American people won't elect a President who doesn't believe in God. Secularists in the Middle East, and atheists in America, are automatically ruled out as potential leaders.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But the Methodists and the Baptists and the Episcopalians aren't killing you if you don't.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Thank you for the history lesson Chuck. I'm sure everything you say is true. Now, pass it along to bin Laden and the rest of the terrorists.

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

At least not lately.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Gee, I'd love to but I'd miss alcohol and meat too much.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

No, we can eat meat. Just can't eat pork.

Draft saved Draft deleted