1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ortiz, ManRam tested positive in 2003?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And in society, most people break the law - some rob banks, some speed...

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Right. So we agree that the "sanctity of the records" argument is bullshit, which is the only point I've tried to make.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not quite, what I meant, but I'm OK leaving it there.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes².

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Right. So we agree that the "sanctity of the records" argument is bullshit, which is the only point I've tried to make.

[/quote]

so then why does a page on steroid use get to seven pages, while in the NFL it yields a collective yawn (maybe not here per se, just talking among general fan populace)? Rodney Harrison on the Pats, Shawne Merriman goes to the Pro Bowl, heck half the Carolina Panthers were juiced up when they went to the SB a few years back. You think all those lineman and linebackers are just that big and athletic? Some of it can be atttributed to year round training and what not, but look at the average size of an NFL player to just 20 years ago. Just saying I don't know why it seems baseball is the only sport that gets a black eye.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because we now know a ton of players used PEDs, and there were still VERY few hitters who ended up doing what Manny Ramirez has done.

For instance, the 500 homer plateau now seems devalued.

A career OPS of more than 1.000? Still damn rare.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

And you obviously are implying it's OK for leakers to break the law in one instance, but not in another. Awesome valuation.

8. cranberry

Just because it's futile to compare players from era to era doesn't mean people don't (or shouldn't) enjoy trying.

9. cranberry

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Mark Felt, by leaking investigation documents, helped unwrap a conspiracy at the very highest level of government. The crime being uncovered far outweighed the crime of leaking the information.

In Northern California, it's been an instance of corrupt lawyers leaking court-sealed documents to try to justify a multi-million dollar investigation that went absolutely nowhere. The crimes being uncovered don't even carry a jail penalty.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Why do the records really matter?
    I love the old-school ballplayers getting on their high horse about how bad steroids and PEDs are. If Bob Feller or Stan Musial or Joe D or Aaron were playing for the amount of money these guys were and had stuff like HgH available, they'd be taking it.
    Let's not be stupid about it. Steroids are part of this era and we're going to have to live with it.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Simple. Because people think they matter.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Right now a baseball record has about as much value as a swimming record.

They are defined so much by their eras (complete games, season wins and career wins will never be broken . . . HRs and saves are always in jeopardy). And good luck breaking 191 RBI or a 1.12 ERA, which are as tainted as anything in the steroid era.

Draft saved Draft deleted