1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel temporary copy editing opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Oct 16, 2006.

1. deputy_dog

deputy_dog New Member

The best story is the time he "interviewed" for the Chicago Tribune SE job.

Oh what a great he said/she said story that is ...

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Bad night at the office, dude? I mean, you went so far as to start a new handle to rip Lynn.
    Class act.
    Not necessarily because you're ripping Lynn (don't think I know him from Adam) but because, like I said earlier, grudges are fun. Good for you, and I hope I don't know you personally.

3. deportes

deportes Member

deputy_dog,

you feel threatened by hoppes because he’s a minority?

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I like that this thread encompasses all the best kinds of blanket judgment, and from anonymous people who don't have to leave their name: how people look, their race and its role in their career success or lackthereof, and their detailed philosophies on the workplace as learned from a single encounter. Great thread, if only for the anthropological voyeur in me. Can the hijack get hijacked with a Jemele tangent, or maybe a Darlington diatribe?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that mediaguy was using sarcasm font.

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

While the dog's tactics seem part of an agenda, there does seem to be a growing number of folks around here who are saying the same thing about this place. If that comes across in a rude way towad Lynn, that's shitty, but I'd rather have it come out than not at all, especially since this place has been treated with kid gloves before.

I've freelancer for them before and was treated very well. But it does seem that there are a growing number of dissenters. ... I doubt they've all banded together to make this shit up.

So thanks for having an opinion, trojanhorse/deputy_dog, even if you're being rude about it.

7. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

Wow.
    Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I can now cut down on my Christmas cards.

Lynn

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

For a town that has a mediocre NBA team and a good Arena Football team, Orlando really seems to think pretty highly of itself.

For example, Bianchi thinks he's almost 5-foot-5.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mr. Dog: I have it on good authority that Mr. Bianchi stopped claiming that when he started shaving his head.

Mr. Bianchi: Where would that hairline be, really? ;D

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Rejection e-mails sent out today.

11. Patrick_Obley

Patrick_Obley New Member

I'm tip-toeing out here under my real name, so take it easy on me, guys. ...

Everyone on this board is certainly entitled to their opinions and I'm definitely not one to shout anyone down on their beliefs. I just want to add my .02 on the folks in Orlando.

Simply, I've never come across anyone in Orlando I did not like. I'm sure Lynn's a lightning rod because of his position and, sadly, his minority status (and, of course, his hair ;) ), but he does a heckuva lot for our industry as a whole. I don't think anyone can dispute how hard he works and the resulting high expectations he has for his employees. I can see how he could rub some people the wrong way, since he's not really a "hang out with the fellas" sort of guy and that's a huge contrast to his gregarious superior, Van McKenzie (BTW, get well, big guy).

Being a copy editor at the Orlando Sentinel certainly has its challenges. It's a heavy workload for what appears to be an eternally short-staffed desk. But don't all papers have that problem? I guess that's simply a matter of whether you believe the desk at your paper is appreciated or not.

As for the Jemele Hill thread on the other board, please feel free to snipe at her resume, if you wish, but please do not attack her character. She's an outstanding individual whom we'd all enjoy hoisting a beer with. Hiring her was a laudable and worthwhile gamble by Lynn. Her hiring is the same type of gutsy move that we routinely heap praise upon the KC Star for. I remember some young scribe by the name of Jason Whitlock who came out of nowhere, took some lumps (some well-deserved) before becoming the big-name Jeff George-pimping personality he is today.

I guess in hindsight, all this explains why, over the years, ESPN has dipped its toes in the Orlando and Kansas City pools for its .com hires. These are papers that get it done the right way.

Do I believe evil roams the halls in Bristol, Conn.? You bet. Would I work there tomorrow if the money and the job were right? You bet your ass. I'll just bring along a flask of holy water to protect me and my keyboard. Either that, or whiskey.

OK, I've said my piece. Sorry I went on so long. My bosses hate that about me.

My arms are wide and my eyes blindfolded. You may fire when ready ...

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yes, we all realize that because things are done poorly in some places, that justifies doing them poorly everywhere.

I would think a newspaper that has earned the golden cow idol reputation it seems to have here would be above that sort of thing. I guess not. Pity.

Draft saved Draft deleted