1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel Sports Reporting Internship (Spring)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rolling, Sep 7, 2006.

1. rolling

rolling Member

I remember this being posted last year. Kind of interesting to follow. I'm applying again. Who else?

http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2006/1989.html

Date posted: 9/5/2006
    Newspaper: Orlando Sentinel
    Job listing: Sports Reporting Internship
    Contact (e-mail): Mr. Dana S. Eagles, Staff Development Editor deagles@orlandosentinel.com

Information: Escape the classroom – and the cold – while writing for a sports section that the Associated Press Sports Editors has named one of the Top 10 in the nation.

The Orlando Sentinel will select a promising college junior, senior or graduate student to work as a sportswriting intern during the winter of 2007. The 10-week internship will start in early January and will pay $525 a week. With Orlando Magic basketball, golf tournaments, baseball spring training and the Daytona 500, professional sports are at full speed during Central Florida's balmy winters. Working with our award-winning staff, you'll gain the skills that will make your journalism education complete.

Candidates must have completed at least one earlier internship at a daily newspaper; be able to work 10 consecutive weeks; and have a valid driver's license and use of a car. Housing is not provided.

To apply, please send a packet that includes: a letter describing your background, career goals and internship objectives (biographical essays are not needed); a resume with journalism-related references; and at least seven varied clips.

Mail to:

Mr. Dana S. Eagles
    Staff Development Editor
    Orlando Sentinel
    633 N. Orange Ave.
    Orlando, FL 32801

The deadline for receipt of all applications is Oct. 16, 2006. No e-mailed applications, please.

2. Anybody know anything about past interns here and where they've gone? I'm curious to know.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Where the hell is Lynn when you need him?
    This is a great opportunity. Good people there, and the high-school editor is as good as it gets.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Heck yes, great internship. I've always been a Sentinel fan, they cover friggin' everything in Florida despite only having the crappy Magic and UCF as true home teams.

5. rolling

rolling Member

I'm pretty sure a girl from Northwestern got it last year. Can't recall her name.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Monica!

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Point taken.

But crappy Magic?

Not anymore. They're going to take the league by storm this winter.

And UCF had a nice 2005, FWIW.

8. Who cares about what you cover? Orlando Sentinel is a truly fine training ground.

You'll learn how to do great stuff, and how to do it right.

Trust me on that one.

9. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

2006: Tania Ganguli, now at the Louisville Courier-Journal
    2005: Vince Thomas, now at the St. Petersburg Times
    2004: Jeff Darlington, now at the Miami Herald

others include Juliet Macur (New York Times), Ryan Clark (Cincinnati Enquirer) and Lyndsay Sutton (Orlando Sentinel)

Please apply. I like getting mail.

Lynn

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So everyone went on to better things except poor Lyndsay Sutton? ;)

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Macur is an amazing writer. Truly one of the best around...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How much does anyone want to bet that at least one of the interns Hoppes listed went to Western Kentucky? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted