1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orlando Sentinel sports columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

The Orlando Sentinel is looking for a sports columnist/takeout writer to join our team.
    This person will write columns, major features, enterprise, A-1 stories, investigative work and make appearances on television, radio and online.
    We've already received some applications, so no need to send more stuff.
    But if you have an interest and didn't know about this opening, please send your resume and clips to:

Mr. Lynn Hoppes
    Executive Sports Editor
    The Orlando Sentinel
    633 N. Orange Ave.
    Orlando, FL 32801

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Curious, would this be Jemele's old spot or is another person leaving?

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Does 16 months at 15K daily qualify me for this position? No? :'(

4. soc2020

soc2020 New Member

Will a Floridian, or someone in the know, please answer MU's question? Gracias.

5. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

This will bring out the big boys/girls.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

They already have the right person for this job on board.

Lynn needs to look no further than Steve Elling. Great writer, acerbic wit who doesn't suffer fools at all.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I know you were just kidding, but Lynn Hoppes e-mailed me -- a couple years ago -- when I was working at an 8K daily about a page design job. And while I think Lynn is probably a good judge of talent, I had no business applying for a job at the Sentinel. But if you're good, Lynn is going to find you.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Oh, I have no doubts of this. In fact, a former staff writer at my paper went straight from here to the Sentinel. The joke was more in the position, not that a jump to such a paper (albeit on a slightly less profile beat) is impossible.

9. spwritenj

spwritenj New Member

can i second the motion on steve elling? i worked with the guy back when he was covering carolina in raleigh. he's an excellent writer -- takeouts, features, news stories, whatever -- and as anyone who knows him could attest, to say he has the right amount of cynicism required to be a columnist is an understatement!

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Elling is great. So is Chris Harry. Both would be great columnists.

11. Hope their new hire is top-notch. Anyone would be better than Mike Bianchi. That guy is All Shill, All the Time.

A shameless wreck.

12. sheos

sheos Member

Bianchi is great. You're not.

Draft saved Draft deleted