1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orioles Beat Reporter for Fox Sports/Scout

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportsnut, Jan 25, 2008.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

From journalismjobs.com

Do you want to work as a sports journalist? Do you have a passion for baseball?

FoxSports/Scout.com may be the place for you!

The Orioles publisher for FoxSports/Scout.com is looking for a passionate journalist who doesn't mind putting in evening and weekend hours for part-time pay. Of much greater value will be the experience and contacts made. You will be interviewing players, coaches and club personnel.

This is a year-round position, though the commitment is much heavier during the baseball season. All reporters are fully credentialed at all Baltimore Orioles' minor league affiliates.

This position will be a leadership role and you will help manage a collection of interns as well.

If interested, please email your resume and 2 writing samples to Publisher@InsideTheWarehouse.com

Recent college grads are encouraged to apply.

2. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

What about this gig is less desirable -- the nights and weekends for part-time pay or covering the Orioles year-round?

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For me, the part-time pay. I get shafted enough as it is.

If it were full-time with benefits, I'd consider it. Even if I'd have to undergo a daily ritual of swallowing the bile I feel toward Peter Angelos were I to be hired for it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What a great job... If you're 22 and independently wealthy...

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So are the writers credentialed for O's games of just the farm clubs?

6. The obligatory "Money isn't everything!" post.

7. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

I sent an e-mail over a week ago to this website asking if anything would be open and got no response. I think the e-mail may have been return to sender. Couldn't have been an error on my part as I e-mailed through the website.

8. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Like I said in the Notre Dame thread, I'd be skeptical about taking these gigs as your full-time job unless your the publisher of the site. If you write for them in addition to your job, fine, but I just can't see these kind of things being something steady (though, then again, what is in this industry today?).

I could be wrong -- I'm only saying this judged off the site I'm experienced with. I realize the bigger the fan base, the more money coming in (i.e. Notre Dame) -- which isn't good for the Orioles.

9. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I write for one of the Scout sites on top of my other writing gig. I can tell you that Scout is slowly but surely moving past Rivals (and in some places already have). If there's a way to swing that role with another well-paying job, I'd say go for it.

I will admit the contacts I've made are pretty solid, which makes the job a plus, but I can't see many people who have the wherewithal to work like a Siberian mine worker only to be paid like a disregarded serf.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

We're in the same boat, my man.

This would be a great opportunity, but year round work for part-time pay ain't the way to land qualified candidates.

Draft saved Draft deleted