1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Original "Dream Team" question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Aug 25, 2008.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Got to chatting about the 92 team the other night. I thought I remember reading about a college all-star team beating the Dream Team in a scrimmage, but can't find anything about it online. Am I imagining things?

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Google "1992 dream team college lost scrimmage" and you'll get some stories on it.
    After reading this, I remember the part about them not letting the college guys score in the second scrimmage. The legendary scrimmage from that year was the one between Magic's team and Jordan's. The story is that it was the greatest game never seen by anyone, as the practice was closed. And if I remember it right, Magic's team was ahead and he started talking trash. Jordan took over and his team won. Here's the bit about the college kids:

In addition, Duke undergraduates Bobby Hurley and Grant Hill were part of a select team of collegiate stars that scrimmaged against the Dream Team before the Olympic games. In fact, they handed the legendary pro stars their only defeat – sort of.

“Chuck Daly is really smart,” Krzyzewski explained recently. “The first day, they scrimmaged for like 20 minutes. The college kids kind of won the scrimmage. But Jordan played like three minutes. Chuck wanted them to lose.

“Our Dream Team was – not blowing it off – but it didn’t matter if they were playing or not. Then all of a sudden, Chuck threw that at them. The next day, [the college kids] didn’t score for the first 10 minutes and they got beat by about 40 in a 20-minute scrimmage.

“That was just Chuck’s way ... his old Duke background.”

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Damn. All the google combinations I tried crapped out.

I suck at The Google.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

David Halberstam had a good account of the Dream Team's pre-Olympic training in his book on Jordan and Albom wrote about it in Fab Five, from Webber's perspective. Webber talked about talking trash to Bird and some guys after they beat them once, while at the hotel in La Jolla.

My favorite of the Halberstam section was how one scrimmage between the team was so competitive, Coach K and others said it was the best basketball they've ever seen.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That may have been the best era in basketball. Might be because so many players played well into their late college careers.

I could not imagine any combo of college players competing with the Redeem Team. Even if it involved Oden and Durant and others from last year, I cant see it happening.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Dwarf got several things wrong in that book, time has proven. Are we to believe this because Albom wrote it?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, Albom has certainly fabricated and played fast and loose with the facts before. Why stop at one column?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've never read the Fab Five book. It sits on my shelf but I've never read it. I have a feeling, whatever is in there would just piss me off. If he really got in depth with Webber and the team he knew about the misdoings with the program. He could have broken the Ed Martin scandal four years earlier, before others took the money. I don't know if I will ever believe that Albom didn't know about this. There had to be some signs.

Draft saved Draft deleted