1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orel Hershiser and Bobby Valentine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Apr 2, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Watching the ESPN baseball broadcasts this season and have been amazed with the pairing of Orel Hershiser and Bobby Valentine. I have played baseball all my life and coach it now, but I am actually learning a few things from listening to this pair. A very solid pairing, even if Valentine's voice is annoying. Any thoughts on this pair?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would break so very many laws and religious beliefs to be with Bobby Valentine. Things that haven't even been diagrammed.

The end.

But I do like Hershiser as an announcer.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Only if he wore the fake moustache

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nah, I hate facial hair.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Bobby's take on why Josh Hamilton is playing left field now and Julio Borbon is in center was awesome! Best line was, "well Borbon is a lousy left fielder...it has nothing to do with Hamilton being hurt..."
    Enjoy this weekend's games, because I have a feeling Bobby is going to have to reel it in after stepping on too many toes in the first few games.
    But, yeah...this is such a step up from Joe and John.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I wasn't watching/listening real close to the Rangers-Red Sox game, but during the whole Hamilton-Borbon dialog, I thought I heard Valentine say that center field was easier to play than left field.
    Did I mis-hear?
    That doesn't sound correct to me.

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

That struck me as odd, too. I've heard it's easier to read the ball coming off the bat in center than one of the corner outfield spots, although there's more ground to cover in center.

He also mentioned that left was harder because every left field is different, and centers are pretty much the same one from park to the next. But I'm like you -- I always thought that center would be much harder to play than left.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Those guys are a great team. It's going to be a great season on ESPN

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Every game those guys are doing is a game that Joe Morgan is NOT doing.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Addition by subtraction . . . but Bobby V's always been good, when not discussing anything related to any of his historical quirks/prejudices within the game.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I loved Valentine/Hershiser ripping the Rangers for resorting to a washed-up hack like Darren Oliver as their setup man when they have 10 better arms in their minor-league system. All we would have heard from Morgan is about how great Oliver is in the clubhouse as a mentor to the young pitchers.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No, Valentine is right. Center is the easier of the three positions to play because you can read the ball off the bat more easily and you don't have to learn to play the corners in 15-16 different ballparks.

Draft saved Draft deleted