1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orange slices for everyone, or the I Hate Soccer thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I do? Hell, while you're at it, what am I going to have for lunch?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

BLT, toasted, on rye. With mayo.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Whatever it is, you'll probably have half of it, from what I've heard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can dig that for sure. Damn good call. Except for the rye part. White or wheat, please.

deskslave: That couldn't be more unfunny, but yeah...ok.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All true, but bashing things is pretty much in the DNA around here.

No need to bash Albom, Celine Dion, Peter King, Brett Favre, ESPN, Chris Berman, James Cameron, and so on. There are plenty of other things to occupy your time, so move on to something else and quit bashing.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Touche.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Bill Simmons has a great theory on soccer and the way people have been saying its the next big thing for 40 years.

It is a niche sport. And I for one think it sucks. I think I am going to spend this afternoon washing my car instead of watching the games.

8. The 180 minutes were tense, there were great scoring chances from all sides, the crowd is electric, its fun to watch.
    Tell me why this is a bad thing?

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I love the World Cup, love soccer. Now I really want oranges.

Carry on.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fixed.

I will not watch a minute of the World Cup. I also will not diss it or anyone who thinks it's the greatest game in the world.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, but it offers strong entertainment value.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Like most other major sporting events, the World Cup has become a victim of its own hype. While ESPN is doing what it does for big events, the average U.S. soccer fan is wiser now about "shoving it down people's THROATS!!!!" because the game has secured a pretty solid foothold here. MLS is part of that, but its attendance and TV ratings are far from indicative of the level of support the sport enjoys here.

(dooley: I have never met a single MLS fan who thinks it's soccer at the highest level. Maybe you just know a lot of dumb MLS fans?).

In any event, the World Cup is simple. If you like soccer, you might want to check it out. If you don't like soccer, then feel free to ignore it, like I ignore NASCAR, boxing, UFC and most non-revenue college sports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.