1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orange County copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jumpin Jack Flash, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Jumpin Jack Flash

Jumpin Jack Flash New Member

The Orange County Register, in sunny, diverse Southern California, has a full-time opening for a sports copy editor.

This job requires someone who can do it all: edit copy quickly and accurately, write excellent headlines, lay out pages and design the occasional cover, and work on the Web.

Knowledge of sports is important, and familiarity with Orange County and Southern California sports is a plus. The ability to speak/read/write a second language is also desirable. Five years of experience on a daily newspaper copy desk and/or in digital media is preferred, but other talented applicants may be considered.

E-mail copyjobs@ocregister.com.

Attach your resume as a Word file for PC. No calls, please.

Does anyone have the skinny on this? And there's no call for submitting samples. Submit some anyway?

2. i guess the freeze period is over.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

This likely will be a young, less-expensive hire.

4. boots

boots New Member

This gig gets the boots seal of approval. Unlike some SoCal places like Riverside, the Register will not play games and will pull the tigger to get the right person in there. Good place. Pay is OK but remember, you are living in OC.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

If you get this job, you get to work alongside the immortal Earl Bloom, who actually was the writer who told Rod Carew to "Mix in an RBI." That reference is on a different post. Wojo got it wrong in his book, it was not Alan Malamud or Jim Ruffalo or John Strege. It was Earl Bloom who came back with that awesome retort after Carew told to him "Mix in a salad."

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Bloom told me this story standing outside of the Arrowhead Pond one night after a Ducks game. I was laughing for the entire hour-45 drive home.

To this day, whenever my wife sees or hears the name "Rod Carew," she automatically says "Mix in an RBI."

Bloom is an absolute riot to talk to/work with.

There are some other pretty good guys on that desk: Nick Leyva, Brian Patterson, among others.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

FYI: Riverside has a new SE. Don't know how she is in terms of playing games, but just noting.

8. boots

boots New Member

Yeah, hopefully she's not a player but I don't know her.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Is this opening a result of losing their copy editor who organized their baseball pages? I know they had a great, veteran copy editor who retired at the end of the baseball regular season. If so, good luck to the next person because if it's the person I'm thinking of, you have big shoes to fill.

Draft saved Draft deleted