1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinions Sought: John Kincaid of ESPN Radio (and ATL radio )

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RokSki, Jan 28, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Somebody has to talk to me. :)

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Couldn't agree more. Good that you called in.

Hell, yeah. Gottlieb's a blowhard, but he is smart. He has his own Gamenight show now, The Pulse. Douggie needed his own show. Give me a break.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yep. Kincaid is a hard-core conservative.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Kincaid's good at what he does. A radio show is about the host's opinions and getting you to react to them. He certainly got a reaction out of you, and did so without being annoying enough that you flipped the dial or switched your radio off.

Although he's not bad in his national work, Kincaid's most effective in his local host role in Atlanta. He plays the bad cop to Buck Belue's local good ol' boy. Local people get pissed at the guy, but the ratings numbers are there to show they listen.

I disagree. I at least find Gottlieb's points of view interesting, although I may not agree. Seibel is as bad as any national host I have heard. He asks poor questions in interview segments, frequently is ill-informed, and does not entertain or display original thought.

Freddie Coleman is on the show because ESPN Radio head exec Bruce Gilbert made it a priority for them to add a black host. He, Kendall Lewis from Cleveland and a couple of former athletes were among those considered. Gilbert also has stated he wants a female host, although Amy Lawrence as a frequent fill-in is the best he's been able to do on that front thus far.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I really like Coleman. He's one of the best-informed and best-prepared hosts I've heard on ESPN radio, bar none. He has a wide breadth of knowledge and an amiable personality. I really like him.

Lawrence does very little for me. Siebel is definitely annoying with his soundbyte 'outs' schtick. Gottlieb annoys me, but for different reasons.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, he WOULD be a natural on this board. ;)

When Kincaid sits in for Cowherd, it's like there's no change. They both throw outrageous theories out there just to make people disagree with them ... they both treat callers with zero respect when they disagree ... they both have the delivery of that kid in high school you would have loved to smack.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

SG - Couldn't have said it better myself. Cowherd and Kincaid deal with dissenters in the same way. Weak.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, I'd rate them both 1 on a scale of 1-10 in that respect.

Point of reference: I'd rate JT The Brick 0 on that same scale.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It depends on the night. Some nights, JT is cool about it. Other nights, you're gone in a second. At least he has different 'modes,' unlike Cowherd and Kincaid.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

To me Kincaid replaced Madden, so he doesn't have to be very good to be a step up. seibel sounds like he's a media guy who never followed sports who took the first opening available.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You're right. I forgot that. After Madden, it's all downhill. God that guy was brutal.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You mean there are actually people who listen to 680? I thought The Stews had taken over the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted