1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinions on ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SMJKeith, Aug 3, 2007.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I don't get to see SportsCenter. ESPN might want to run it a couple of times in the morning.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I liked that their checks never bounced.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I like how they beat everyone to every scoop.

"ESPN has learned..."

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How about put Around the Horn on primetime, where it belongs?

And ditch Pardon the Interruption.

Rachel Nichols as a SportsCenter anchor?

5. IU90

IU90 Member

Thank god ESPN Classic stopped showing so many of those damn old games. Hello, they've already been played, so what's the point? I'm sure all true sports fans can agree that the poker, reality, and game shows are much better.

6. IU90

IU90 Member

...from reading their competitor's website."

7. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

The good things about ESPN?

Nobody gives complete coverage of major sporting events better. And it is not even close. I think what ESPN does is special when it comes to the finals of the NBA or the Super Bowl.

I also think that Pardon the Int. and Around the Horn are good shows with enough information mixed with entertainment and fun to be worth watching every day.

Michael Wilbon is very intelligent, Woody Paige is funny and that hour just works.

I'm not crazy about some of Jim Rome's regulars -- like the one guy from Fox Andrew Siciliano -- but I do think Jim Rome is burning is watchable.

There are some good anchors even though the ones who seem to get ripped the most are the primary ones.

And I enjoyed some of the network's shows, like playmakers and the Junction Boys (though I hated the Bobby Knight one and this Bronx is burning is kind of a bore)

Things I dislike about ESPN ---

Stuart Scott is unwatchable as is Chris Berman and Linda Cohn and Skip Bayliss and the bald guy with the glasses and of course Stephen A. Smith.

The network some times tends to get too preachy with some of its stories and tries to hard to tug at heart strings far too often.

Sportscenter could be about half as long if it just cut out most of the "Who is Now" and "Budweiser Hot Seat" nonsense.

8. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

I did notice tonight that AP moved a NASCAR story where he, in part, rips ESPN and their coverage of him.

For giggles, I checked ESPN.com and I saw they ran the story - but omitted any reference to his criticism of the Worldwide Leader.

I used to think ESPN was going to be a beacon in the same regard as SI. Now, not so much. The whole "Who's Now" stuff just is the latest in the line of poor decisions on their part.

9. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

I've mentioned this before among SportsJournalists.com friends -- why does Stuart Scott always have a football in his hand when he talks about football? Is it a prop? Would you pay less attention if he wasn't holding a football?

I've also noticed Mark Schlereth's tendency to refer to any NFL organization as a "football team," and every person on the field and in the action as a "football player," and he does it as many times as he can. The use of the word "football" as a disclaimer on a program that talks about nothing but the NFL seems rather redundant, and quite annoying.

Oh yeah, and while I'm at it (sorry, had a couple drinks post-work this evening) the whole "Who's now?" thing is obnoxious, except for Jessica Biel and Erin Andrews as commentators.

And another thing -- how much time and money will ESPN waste following Barry Bonds (and getting shots of Selig before every Bonds at-bat) before they realize the first game they're not tat for live coverage, he's going to tie/break Aaron's record?

Phew. I'm spent.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jay - quit fucking with keith. he wanted honest answers.

11. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Oh. I like Sports Center.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I like how ESPN broadcasts the spelling bee and treats it like a sport. Because, you know, little Cindy works just as hard at spelling as the football players do at football.

Draft saved Draft deleted