1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening Scene - Studio 60 (Wow!)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, Sabrina Lloyd was the best part of Sports Night... She was cut from NUMB3RS after the first season, which I kind of understood, because she didn't really do that much...

I thought I had read somewhere that Josh Malina was actually going to have a recurring role on Studio 60... Sorkin must love the guy...

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not because i've only seen her in two things..but check out "The Whole Nine Yards."

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Like some others, I've seen the pilot via Netflix. Tremendous, tremendous stuff.

Will be curious to see if the "celebrity guest" each week is an actual celebrity, or they just write around them ("Oh, Robert DeNiro is in the green room"). Or if the celebrity guest each week is Joshua Malina.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Ya'll must be forgetting Sabrina Lloyd's epic work in "Sliders"
    I think Sorkin must have lost a poker bet to Malina and to pay him back, he keeps giving him work.
    Of course, I thought he was good in Sports Night.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A bit off topic here, but Did Sabrina Lloyd leave Sliders for Sports Night? I only watched Sliders sporadically, but I did see what I think was the first episode after I left. Somehow she was left behind to some horrible fate (enslaved by the recurring villains, I think).

I also liked Josh Malina on Sports Night. I liked his initial appearances on The West Wing, too. Just didn't like him so much as a regular.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Josh Malina is basically Sorkin's good luck charm. Malina has appeared in everything Aaron's ever written, going back to the original stage production of A Few Good Men (he has a small part in the film version). Plus, he's Tim Busfield's brother-in-law. So I'd say it's a safe bet he'll pop up at some point.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Greg Grunberg plays the same role for J.J. Abrams. He was in Felicity (so I'm told), was Eric Weiss on Alias, was in the first episode of LOST, and had a cameo in Mission Impossible III.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Myster solved .. Malina saved Sorkin's life. Sure he broke some ribs, but better that than dead

From IMDB...
    While in the cast of Aaron Sorkin's Broadway play "A Few Good Men," Malina and Sorkin were members of a bowling league composed of cast and crew from Broadway shows. One night, Sorkin bought the team a tray of hamburgers and, while trying to entertain the group, started to choke on a bite of one. Although he did not know how to perform the Heimlich Maneuver, Malina attempted to perform it on Sorkin, dislodging the burger and breaking three of Sorkin's ribs in the process.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That's an in-fucking-credible, explanatory get, Jay.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Loser alert: I watched "Dear, John" religiously. Mostly because of the way Kirk said his name, Kirrr-kk.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

OK, I'm not sure why that intro has people sporting a woody ... it seems OK, but nothing groundbreaking here. I loved Sports Night, but not a fan of Matthew Perry. Still, this show piques my interest, so I'll probably check it out.

That being said, Dalton Ross of EW - not a big fan (especially of Amanda Peet's).

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1531850_7_0_,00.html

"Most Overhyped, Underwhelming New Show: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (NBC)
    Loved Sports Night. Loved The West Wing (the first three seasons, at least). So I had high hopes for this new Aaron Sorkin drama. Those hopes have officially been dashed. The show basically centers around best buds and partners coming back to take over an SNL-type sketch-comedy program. Problem is, best buds are played by Bradley Whitford and Matthew Perry — both fine actors, and I'm sure fine men as well, but I wasn't believing them for one minute in these roles. Even worse is Amanda Peet as a high-level network executive. In fact, I implore you to watch the first episode of this show just to be amazed by her awfulness. We're talking Sofia Coppola in The Godfather III bad. I know, I know... all the other critics like this show, and I'm probably being harsher than I should, but that's what happens when you put together a great team of talent (including the always underappreciated D.L. Hughley) and end up with this."

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Those are six words I never thought I'd read.

Draft saved Draft deleted