1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening in Glens Falls

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Greg_Brownell, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Greg_Brownell

Greg_Brownell New Member

I have an opening for a sportswriter. The posting follows:

The Post-Star, a 30,000 circulation daily newspaper in Glens Falls, N.Y., is looking for a solid all-around journalist to join our sports staff. We cover a broad range of sports, including 40 high schools, three state tournaments, an AHL team, a summer college baseball team and horse racing at Saratoga. We prefer journalists with daily newspaper or similar experience, but will consider exceptional entry-level candidates. Multimedia skills are a must.

The person who fills this position will cover a high school beat through stories, blog entries, video and use of Twitter. But we like to go beyond game coverage, and feature writing is an important part of what we do. There will be some editing and pagination as part of the job.

To apply for this opening, please visit the job listing on our website: http://poststar.com/app/marketplace/psjobs/job_openings/current/. No paper applications will be accepted. Anyone with questions may contact Sports Editor Greg Brownell at brownell@poststar.com.

I've had the fortune to hire some very good people in the last decade. Many of our past writers have gone on to success at major metros. I'd like to think we're a cut above the average small paper, and we're looking for someone who can help us keep that going.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Best small-market sports department in the state and ample opportunity to shine.

This is a great stepping stone, kiddies.

3. GarrettWampler

GarrettWampler New Member

Anyone know anything about this shop? how big it is? or life around the area?

4. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

FAIL.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Has anyone left lately for anywhere of note? Not criticizing the section or Greg, just haven't heard of any movement out of GF in years, and many circumstances could play into that.

6. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I believe it was only a couple of years ago when Kate Fagan left the Post-Star to cover the Sixers for the Philadelphia Inquirer. In at least that case, Glens Falls served as more of a launching pad than a stepping stone.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wonderlic, the memory's rusty.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What murphy said. This opens up once every couple years, but it's because they lose talent to other papers. From what limited times I've seen it the section appears to be well put together.

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I met Greg a few years ago at an APSE convention when I was a first-year sports editor. One of the nicest guys in the business as far as I can tell.

10. Greg_Brownell

Greg_Brownell New Member

Since someone asked, and if you don't mind me boasting a little, here is the initial destination of the last 12 people to have left our sports department (moving backward from the lastest): FasterSkier.com, Newark Star-Ledger, grad school, Philadelphia Inquirer, Augusta Chronicle, an insurance company, Daily Racing Form, Tampa Tribune, Daytona Beach News Journal, New Haven Register, Asbury Park Press, Arizona Republic. (I know the insurance company entry kind of sticks out here, but it really was a good move for him).

Draft saved Draft deleted