1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opening for Journalist - USF Athletics/Communications

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by aggiewillie, May 20, 2011.

1. aggiewillie

aggiewillie New Member

USF has an opening on its Athletics Communications Staff. Will consider sports journalists interesting in transitioning into intercollegiate athletics industry. Similar, but not identical, to model at University of Florida. Seeking strong and prolific writer with flexible responsibilities likely to include editorial oversight of gousfbulls.com, content development including use of multimedia and social media, feature and game-story writing, blogging, some traditional SID duties, other department-wide communications (e.g. fundraising, recruiting, executive), etc. Email resume, work product and expressions of interest to Assistant AD for Communications Jeremy Sharpe at jwsharpe@usf.edu. Also cc to: bmcgillis@usf.edu

2. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

Wonder what's the pay for something like this?

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'm not qualified, in terms of experience, for this job, but it sounds like a great gig.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Fear "prolific writer" is code for unpaid overtime. I interviewed with an MLB team many years ago about a salaried media relations position and they mentioned "work ethic" about 50 times in six hours.

5. NoleBrian

NoleBrian New Member

Thankfully, my experience evolved from working in an athletic department to becoming a sports writer. Bet I'm one of 10,000 applicants though.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

One assistant SID makes $36,565. If it's a public school, it takes 5 minutes to look up this stuff.

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

It's refreshing to see a D-I athletic department looking for a "journalist" rather than someone with either a) a marketing degree (masters preferred) or b) someone with at least 10 years of experience with corporate communications.

SID jobs used to be a natural jump for sports writers looking for something different. Not so much now.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

https://employment.usf.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId=162883

Salary range "negotiable". Seems like schools usually post a range. But with all they are asking you to do, and if they are looking for someone with 3-5 years experience, the pay should be decent.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Those I know who have made similar moves are all in the $45K-$55K range. All of those schools have more prominent athletic programs than USF, not that USF is bad by any means...

Draft saved Draft deleted