1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opelika-Auburn News runs photo of awful Treadwell injury on sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BrendaStarr, Nov 2, 2014.

1. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

Not sure which is worse, the decision to run the photo of the Ole Miss kid's gruesome injury on the front of your sports section combined with that headline or their explanation of why they ran it. Let's just say Auburn fans weren't pleased with either of the paper's decisions.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-11-02/opelika-auburn-paper-laquon-treadwell-front-page-finding-way-ole-miss-fumble-injury

Opelika-Auburn News' explanation:

http://www.oanow.com/opinion/editorials/article_78cb2a08-62e6-11e4-b538-0017a43b2370.html

Other than the sensationalism of running that photo, not sure why you'd choose that one. Thoughts?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I get the thinking that it was the defining play of the game, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to error on the side of caution. You don't want to be seen celebrating the injury. The context, more than the content, seems to be the problem here.
    On a scale of 1 to Joe Theismann, though, the gruesomeness of that injury rates about a 1.5. Even in that photo that captures the moment, it looks more like he's dragging his foot behind him than getting his leg broken. From a visceral standpoint, I have no problem with it.

3. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

It was the key play of the game. Not sure an angle existed that didn't show the injury. Maybe they could have ran a shot of the fumble recovery?

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The comments are insane.
    It's not like bone was showing.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I didn't see it live because we didn't have cable in the office (don't ask). But when I found the play online, I expected a lot worse than what happened. Same with Julius Randle's broken leg last week. You could barely tell something bad happened.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Dumb headline, but it was unquestionably the play of the game. NOT running a photo from said play would have been a bigger mistake.

rb

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The "sensationalism" lies with the millennial moralists and their middle-aged media enablers who think they're protecting the sacred youth of mankind by eulogizing an ankle injury. The headline isn't great, but postgame football headlines usually aren't.

We're a pretty damn peculiar society when the capture of a common -- if season-ending -- football injury inspires more outrage than any of the daily BS transpiring in our nation.

8. Rockbottom

Alternative headlines I came up with:

Tough Break
    Twist of Fate
    Lucky Break
    God Hates Ankles
    Rebel Yell

rb

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just spitballing here, but couldn't they have cropped that photo at Treadwell's knees?

I guess that would have also cut the end zone out of the photo, though.

10. Rockbottom

I thought about that, too, o' great gin-curdled Southpaw former QB. And then I remember how I once got RIPPED by a photo editor for cropping out body parts -- even maimed ones like this.

rb

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The photo was the defining moment of the game and have no problem with it being there.
    The headline is for shit.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No problem with running the photo.

Huge problem with "Finding a Way," as if some poor kid snapping his ankle was somehow part of Auburn's grand scheme to win the game.

And Gus Malzahn has now passed Les Miles as the luckiest SOB in college football.

Draft saved Draft deleted