1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oops: Editor's kid in trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by copperpot, Mar 17, 2011.

1. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what you all think about making a big deal of the fact this kid's dad is a Daily News editor. My gut reaction is that it's neither here nor there, but the fact the paper editorialized about the incident seems to lend it some relevance.

ALBANY -- The first student to surrender after police released photographs of Saturday's "Kegs and Eggs" melee is the son of a top New York Daily News editor.

Evan Sapio, a University at Albany freshman, turned himself in Wednesday night after recognizing his photograph in the gallery of students who allegedly took part in the riot on Hudson Avenue.

Police released photographs of dozens of people they want to question about the incident.

According to several people familiar with the case, Sapio, 18, is the son of Bob Sapio, the senior executive editor of the New York Daily News.

The newspaper editorialized Wednesday that the raucous scene showed "how debauched and destructive young people can be when their supposedly supervising adults accept an anything-goes atmosphere."

Sapio is accused of joining the group of students who moved a 2000 Mazda sedan into the middle of Hudson Avenue and then trashed it, according to court papers filed before his arraignment Thursday morning in City Court. Sapio was arraigned on charges of first-degree riot and criminal mischief, Miller said.

On his Facebook page, Sapio uses a photograph of drug-crazed actor Charlie Sheen.

The trashing of the car was caught on a videotape posted on YouTube. Police said Sapio and others caused $6,700 worth of damage to the vehicle.

Videos of the destruction went viral on the Internet and police used still photographs taken from the videos to create a most-wanted list of suspects.

Police said Sapio told them he was "on the Times Union website and saw that he was one of the people in the Hudson Avenue St. Patrick's Day incident."

The Daily News editorial went on to fault SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher, UAlbany President George Philip and the parents of the students.

"These were your young charges, Ms. Chancellor, Mr. President, Mr. and Mrs. Parents. This is the culture you let sprout into criminal proceedings," the newspaper went on to say.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Son-of-Daily-News-bigwig-busted-in-kegs-and-1170327.php#ixzz1GsIDl492

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Unless dad makes an effort to keep this out of paper, which doesn't seem to be the issue, why is this relevant?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's exactly what they're saying over at the Post right now.

4. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Little bit of a "throwing stones when you live in a glass house" thing, I think.

I'm still on the fence about the relevance myself, FWIW.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Question is: If Evan Sapio's father was prominent in the community, but not a member of the media, would we report it?

Probably, yes.

So then we've got to eat it when it happens to us.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I agree it's notable, but not the lede.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If it was a Daily News story - I'd have more respect for it.
    As for the editorial the DN ran - the "kid" is 18. Sounds like the local paper didn't like the community's nose rubbed in it by a high-falutin' big city paper - especially when one of the kids is from the big city.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How can you do $6700 worth of damage to a 2000 Mazda?

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Rims.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

nice

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Don't think it's the lead, but since the paper opined about the lack of parenting of the youth in question, it's worth pointing out that one of the youths in question was the son of the senior executive editor for the paper who made the sweeping statement.

12. Minus the editorial, it's not relevant. With the editorial, it definitely is.

Draft saved Draft deleted