1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only thing sadder than Carlin's death is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Jun 25, 2008.

1. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

See, that's why I can't get into Cross. You get the feeling that he hates most people. Even those in the audience.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Cross hates everybody who isn't him.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Damn, I completely forgot about Rodney Carrington (and I got 3-4 of his albums). Between White and Carrington, not sure who I would rate higher. Maybe its a 1 and 1a situation.

And for those not familiar with his work, one of his songs. Probably NSFW.

4. Mizzougrad96

Comedians I've seen recently who are great, aside from the obvious (Rock, Chappelle, Romano)

Jim Norton
    Rich Vos
    Bonnie McFarlane (Vos' wife)
    Artie Lange
    Demetri Martin
    Jim Gaffigan (Hot Pockets!)
    Brian Regan
    Jim Florentine
    Patton Oswalt

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that would qualify as NSFW, but it is very funny.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's making hundreds of Major League Baseball players laugh like hell.

Do the math and take from that what you will.

7. Mizzougrad96

He's funny in a "I can't believe I'm laughing at this shit" kind of way...

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Standup comedy is dead, but over the past few years, movies and television have really become much funnier than they have ever been.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I think Larry the Cable Guy is funny. Deal with it, comedy snobs.

I never got Hedberg. Rarely made me laugh. Ron White and Patton Oswalt are probably the two that make me laugh the hardest. Bill Engvall sucks.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I blame Larry the Cable Guy for making unintelligent and ignorant attitudes in fashion in this country. Whenever I hear "Get R Done," I want nothing more than to shoot someone in the head.

If you like him, that's great. He's not my style. But the glorification of stupidity is embarrassing, and we should all be a little ashamed -- but not surprised -- by its popularity.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Gotta agree with you, mikey. He can make me laugh sometimes, but even if I do laugh, I sort of feel dirty about it. I just don't think he's all that funny anyways.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's just the language that gets to me. I can't get too far into his stuff, so he might very well be funny. I'm not saying he's got no talent. But when you chew the English -- or any -- language and just spit it out, and then make fists of cash because of it, I can't watch any longer.

I can't say I blame the cat -- because you've got to make a dollar any way you know how -- but I heard he wasn't so "redneck" a few years ago. With its gaining popularity, he essentially grew to be more "redneck," which I find to be a little insulting to people who are really that way -- and it reeks of selling out, to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted