1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only the Cubs...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Armchair_QB, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Don't forget:
    FtizSimons
    MacPhail
    Baker
    Clines
    Matthews
    Rothschild
    Pole
    Speier
    Yosh Kiwano (sp?)
    Ronnie Woo-Woo
    Dutchie Caray

Who am I forgetting?...

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Gary Matthews Jr. and Nomar for sucking while they were in Chicago and making the all-star team this year. I cannot fucking believe GMJR made the all-star team. Just cannot fucking believe it.

3. Armchair_QB

And the Sun-Times reports Baker's job is safe for now.

Just.

Fucking.

Shoot.

Me.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I blame soccer.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I can only blame Wrigley Field. If that team played anywhere else, there would be 200 people in the stands. Instead, they sell out every game, rain or shine. What's the deep motivation to sell or change or win?

6. Armchair_QB

I've been saying this for a few years now. When you market the "Wrigley Experience" it shows you don't give a shit about the product on the field.

They also managed to spend $95 million on a team that's going to lose 100 games now that The Village Idiot gets to finish out the season.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Don't forget Barry Larkin, who blew out his shoulder in '88 during a fielding competiton. Missed the rest of the season, and the Reds post-season chances went down the drain.

8. Armchair_QB

The Fosse and Dean injuries happened in the actual game. I think the Larkin injury is more comparable. Kinda like the guy who blew his knee out playing flag football at the Pro Bowl.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That to me is one of the most shocking events of the season. He was a guy who couldn't put together two straight good seasons and seemed to have swing issues. Now, at 32 (almost) and after playing for six teams, he's having a career year. Hmmm, it's also a contract year. Will be interesting to see if he maintains this next year. He certainly can play some defense (that catch against the Astros was one of the best I've ever seen, anywhere).

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Isn't there a sign in most ballparks that reads: "NO FUNGO"?

Jeez.us.Christ

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Robert Edwards, RB, New England

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Edwards didn't just tear knee ligaments, it was the equivalent of a small bomb detonating in the joint.

Draft saved Draft deleted