1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only in W.Va? Lesbian couple fights to keep child

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 13, 2008.

1. http://dailymail.com/News/statenews/200812110243

I have no problem with a gay couple raising a child.
    I think this situation is way better than foster care for the child in question.
    There are too many homes in this world where kids are a burden. At least here, in this situation, the kid will be loved.

If the facts are as they appear, I hope they win their fight.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hell Virginia had a case where two lesbians who had a civil union in Vermont split up, and one of them tried to keep a child they co-adopted together in Vermont from the other. In a stunning move (to me at least) Virginia said whatever the Vermont courts say, goes. And the Vermont courts had already issued joint-custody.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

That Virginia-Vermont case is detailed in the latest Newsweek. The 6-year-old is being used like a political symbol rather than a child.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Gee, I thought that was long decided after the Va. Supreme Court told the one to piss off earlier this year.

5. In West Virginia, particularly Southern W.Va., there is no way this will fly.
    I'll be shock if Paul Blake is overturned by the State Supreme Court.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I know a couple who used the egg from woman which was inserted into the other woman who carried to term. After six years they are breaking up and fighting over who gets majority custody.

Is is the birth mother or the woman who supplied the egg/dna?

7. I'd like an offer of proof here.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

My impression of that story was that the Virginia woman was somewhat off her rocker. If she keeps denying the Vermont woman visitation rights, she's going to lose custody altogether.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Anytime there's a strange news story in W.Va., it's always somewhere down South.

Weird.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course it's not only in West Virginia. The same thing could, and does, happen in any number of other states, including several that just this year passed laws indicating that only a man-woman coupling can qualify to adopt, doubtless because that particular brand of marriage is perfect and foolproof.

But don't let facts stop you from stereotyping.

Draft saved Draft deleted