1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only in the NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My goodness.

Opinion | I Miss Northwestern Football’s Losing Tradition

The Wildcats play Iowa on Saturday. A victory would put them a step closer to the Big Ten championship game after the regular season. I’ll root for them to play safe — and lose.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I miss the Red Sox losing tradition. Baseball was much more fun when they were getting sad-sacked in the face every few years.

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

What a waste of space. You think football is dangerous, so you want your school to decisively address the issue by ... not going to a bowl game?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The newspaper of record, whose reporters (except in sports in my day) are some of the self-important folks on earth, is as addicted to clicks through hot takes as fucking Barstool Sports.

cake in the rain likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'll bite.

What, specifically, about this piece is so exasperating?

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

For me, it is this: The writer claims to be increasingly uncomfortable with the long-term health risks posed by playing football.

"I’m wondering if I’m still making myself complicit by donating at all to a university that is willing to risk its students’ health and happiness for a share of television revenue.
    The Wildcats play Iowa on Saturday. A victory would put them a step closer to the Big Ten championship game after the regular season. I’ll root for them to play safe — and lose."

If you're good enough to edit at the NYT, you're good enough to spot a logical fallacy. If you're really concerned about the health of the players, then demand the school stop fielding a football team. This proposes moral superiority on the basis of playing 12 games a year instead of 13, which makes virtually no difference in the development of injuries caused by the repetition of hits to the head.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fair enough. So noted.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"I want the Wildcats to win less so they won't play as much."

Ridiculous. If you're terrible you play one fewer game. Two at the most. And if you're good, those extra games are against other good teams. The bigger danger in big-time college football is when the Power Five schools play directional schools, those players can and do get badly hurt in those paycheck games. HBO's Real Sports had a good piece on this a while back.

And saying she's increasingly uncomfortable donating to her school, being complicit to the risk of students' health just for TV revenue, blah blah ... c'mon. I'm not saying the system is perfect, but that increased TV revenue does trickle down all around a school. It just does. And it's very easy to write a check to your alma mater that will never come near the athletic department.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Batman likes this.
  9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The idea the University is risking students health, as if theyre conscripting kids out of pysch 112 and putting them in oklahoma drills, is dumb. The school is risking the health if kids who, if they didnt have a football program, would to go school some place else.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Was this in the sports section or op-ed?

11. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Some of those kids could stand to run a few Oklahoma drills ... :D

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

They tell us to stick to sports ... good lord.

Draft saved Draft deleted