1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only in Ohio: Smoking ban in cars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 7, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Godwin's Law on the second page of a thread? Has to be a record.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I didn't say you should poison your children.
    Do I agree with someone's choice to smoke in a car containing children? No.
    Can I ask them to stop? Yes.
    If it's my car, I can tell them to stop or get out.
    I even said I think the intent is good and that I'm against smoking in a car with children present.
    However, intent should not be the reason for the change.
    And it is restricting an individual's rights. The government is telling a citizen when he/she can and cannot use a legal substance on private property. As I mentioned earlier, the government may try to get around that by saying the public roadways give it the authority to do regulate smoking in vehicles.
    And, no, before you ask, this is not comparable to drinking and driving or driving under the influence of a foreign substance. Alcohol and drugs impair the reasoning and reaction time of a driver, thereby endangering him/her and others on the road. That's a safety issue, the same as with making texting while driving illegal because doing the latter makes the driver take his/her eyes and focus off the road.
    LongTimeListener, we agree on what should be done, but not on how it should be accomplished.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Zag was busy smoking in a bar. Otherwise it'd be on page one

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you want to claim that an automobile is private property, keep it in your garage. Your car is not private property on a public highway.

The claim that this law restricts individual rights is nonsensical. It's a health and safety issue, not a rights issue

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly, but you knew he had to do it. Of course, he thinks the same thing on just about any law. Maybe he compromises when it comes to laws against murder or assault. I'm not quite sure.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I used to hate carpooling for hockey as a kid. Three of the dads smoked (Mine didn;t) and it would be all over equipment, clothes, me.. in a station wagon with no open windows...

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I can completely relate. My parents do a great job, for them any way, of keeping the house smoke free while we're there with the kids. It's almost tolerable. But they just don't get how bad it stinks. If we go somewhere after visiting we often bring a change of clothes. Gifts and anything else we get from them have to be washed or aired out immediately. It's terrible.

And I have no idea how I survived a drive of any distance as a kid.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wait a minute - u grew up in a house where both parents smoked and they are both alive and u didn't either die of lung cancer or become a serial killer?

Impossible, we're told that second hand smoke is worse than first-hand smoke and that there is no way any human can survive even one breath of smoke as it is a "crisis" that we must stop!!

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/

In the United States, tobacco use is responsible for about one in five deaths annually (i.e., about 443,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure).

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Shhhhh. Don't go trying to confuse Zag with facts. They make his head hurt.

11. zagoshe

Lol at the "facts" which are so skewed that they are almost meaningless given how many ways they try to tie anything they can to "smoking related deaths", including 95 year olds who die of old age but happened to smoke between the years of 1941 and 1942

12. zagoshe

Hey, dude died in a car crash - "he used to smoke, probably blurred his vision" - yep, smoking related death

Draft saved Draft deleted