1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online Sports Editor -- Fayetteville, Ark.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chip Souza, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Chip Souza

Chip Souza New Member

Company: Arkansas Democrat-Gazette/ Northwest
    Arkansas Newspapers, LLC.
    Position:
    Online Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    September 29, 2010
    Job ID: 1195783

Description:
    The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and Northwest Arkansas Newspapers, LLC. have an immediate opening for an Online Sports Editor.

This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in covering SEC sports. Areas of coverage will include: Division I sports at the University of Arkansas, various high school sports and other sports areas as assigned. Some out of state travel will be required.

The person will be responsible for planning, reporting, editing, enhancing and promoting sports content on sports-related websites owned by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and NAN, LLC.

Individual will be expected to write and post articles to the website(s), post blog updates, post frequent tweets and shoot and edit videos.

The candidate must have strong writing and editing skills with an exceptional eye for detail. The person must also be web-savvy with the ability to create video packages, produce compelling blog posts and post tweets that will drive reader interest, all within a fast-paced news environment.

Journalism degree is preferred and a minimum of two years of experience working on a newspaper website is required.

Please send current resumes with references to:

jobs@nwaonline.com

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

If you get an interview, leave the Gator cap at home.

3. esport12

esport12 Member

I'm confused about the nature of this position. Because if it's writing, video, etc and maintaining the website that's a huge responsibility.

Are you the only writer? Do you have help?

4. Slash

Slash Member

Where did Bradon Marcello go?

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

My guess is you collaborate with the regular staff. Just a guess.

6. Chip Souza

Chip Souza New Member

Brandon has been hired at the Clarion-Ledger. We hate to see him go, but we're glad for this opportunity for him.
    That said, I don't know a lot of the specifics of this position because they don't work for me, but we do work together a lot. We just launched a revamped preps-only web site (arpreps.com) that Brandon was very instrumental in building and that is an ongoing project. This will be a position that is heavily involved in covering the University of Arkansas and does require travel for football and maybe some other sports. We have several employees both in Northwest Arkansas and Little Rock who are involved in web content, so this person is not the only one who maintains the web site.

7. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

This one has been filled. Mat Jones, who writes for Hawgs Illustrated magazine, will be taking over for Brandon.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That was quick.

Draft saved Draft deleted