1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online Prep Writers - Jackson Citizen Patriot - Jackson, Michigan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TheWritingWaffle, Dec 19, 2011.

1. http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1306324

Company: Jackson Citizen Patriot
    Position: Seeking two online sports reporters
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: January 23, 2012
    Job ID: 1306324

Description:
    The Jackson Citizen Patriot is looking to build a top-tier online sports reporting team covering high school athletics. This isn't your traditional high school sports prep beat. Our reporting team will need to embrace the digital era by shooting video and photos and using our web site and other social media to engage our audience. These two reporters will also coordinate with a statewide sports call center that serves Jackson and several other Michigan communities. We have two openings: one full-time position, and one part-time position.
    To learn more about our company, check out mlivemediagroup.com, and you can find the full job description here.
    Send resume and clips to Sara Scott at sscott@citpat.com

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How stable are these online-only positions? Seems like an awful lot of work, especially for the part-time slot.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I can answer part of this question... These are newly-hired reporters for the Mlive Media Group, which happens to be the new name for Booth.

4. nempreps

nempreps New Member

I'm confused, I thought they just laid a bunch of people off, and now they are hiring a bunch of more people?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Fire the vets and bring in a kid out of college for $23K-25K

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I take it MLive.com is the Michigan version of Al.com?

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Yup. Both Mlive and Al.com are under Newhouse's web people.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Most of those layoffs were in Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids. Not sure how many were from Jackson, if any.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

From what I heard the entire sports staff in Jackson is gone. These positions would essentially replace what was let go.

11. ballparkman

ballparkman New Member

This is going to be a new two-man staff. All previous sports staffers, both full-time and part-time, will be/have been laid off. The paper will still publish seven days a week with just three days of home delivery, thus the emphasis on the online product. All high school phone calls will go to a call center in Grand Rapids, so these jobs will not entail taking scores from coaches, and all the pagination also will be done in Grand Rapids, so no layout duties.

12. nempreps

nempreps New Member

Not taking calls from coaches? Sign me up!

Draft saved Draft deleted