1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online "Media" Publicly Bitch-Slapping PR People

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Oct 30, 2014.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

http://deadspin.com/5796705/a-case-study-in-incompetence-dan-snyders-pr-guy-tony-wyllie

Curious to hear what you fine folk think about this:

I've notice lately an upward spike of calling out PR people in articles like the above, especially by online sites.

Yes, I'm on the dark side now in a SID office so I don't like it when any colleague gets called out. Many times
    though, I may agree.

I was taught that "no one cares about the labor 'cause all they really care about is seeing the baby." Has that changed?

Thank you for your time.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's amazing to see how different SIDs are today compared to 15-20 years ago. When I first started, it seemed like 90 percent of my interaction with SIDs and PR folk was extremely pleasant. They were the middle men, the facillitators (sp?). But as the old school guys got pushed out, it got really bad really fast.

It's the same way in the NFL lately. I've seen so many really good PR guys fired for just ridiculous shit. I know one guy who was fired from one place and forced to resign at another place about 18 months apart, both due to unfavorable stories that SI ran.

People are in job preservation mode.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This story is from 2011 and Wyllie deserves all the shit he gets.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Was he at the Raiders then Browns?

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

To play devil's advocate, I think we sometimes forget that a media relations person does not work for us. It doesn't matter whether we consider an MR guy to be "great." The truth is, the friendlier and more helpful they are with us, the less trust they have inside the organization. Don't get me wrong, pro sports teams drastically underestimate the value of professional, fair, deliberate media relations. Media relations is a strategic department, where most teams expect them to be glorified bodyguards (see Redskins). At the same time, the opposite end of the spectrum isn't ideal for the team either. A guy who is buddies with reporters and willing to dole out cell phone numbers and set up lunch dates without any due diligence can easily get the organization burnt.

Draft saved Draft deleted