1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One year later... Whitlock talks to The Big Lead again...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This interview is why The Big Lead is so much fucking better than SMG and their fluffy interviews...

http://www.thebiglead.com

It's just great.

2. Mizzougrad96

This makes it a little easier...

http://thebiglead.com/?p=3359#more-3359

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

"on blast"!

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Interesting read. Very pointed commentary on what APSE awards have done for newspapers. Not sure I agree, but not sure I can disagree either.

In defense of SMG, Mizzou, it is more about the craft of writing/reporting. Totally different goals from what TBL is trying to achieve. And I like them both.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I noticed this question:

Q: What should newspapers be doing in the new millennium? And why not leave newspapers all together and go strictly to the net where all the sports fans are anyway?

God, what an a-hole.

6. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

I think it's a legit question in light of all the recent hires by Yahoo, ESPN and other internet sites.

7. dooley_womack1

Your last sentence is unsupportable, and top columnists in newspapers outnumber those on the Internet by a large factor still. Jeff Passen going to Yahoo isn't the dagger for newspapers.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I love this line:

"Albom and APSE poisoned the art of column writing and turned the job into an exercise in writing feature stories that the subjects can frame and hang in their basements."

I've had similar thoughts for a long time.

9. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Who said anything about a dagger? I think you're reaching. Fact: more than a couple writers have left newspapers for the net in the last year. Is Whitlock next? Legit question.

Of course columnists outnumber those on the internet ... there are four, maybe five sites. There are far more newspapers.

10. Mizzougrad96

I agree completely. Newspapers are in trouble and the only big hires lately seem to be going to the websites. It's a sign of what's to come.

11. dooley_womack1

So there are no sports fans reading newspapers? Typical "let's kill all the newspapers" snark.

12. Mizzougrad96

Well, the websites aren't asking their employees to take buyouts...

Draft saved Draft deleted