1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One year ago today ....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

... Katrina made its first landfall in Fort Lauderdale as a surprisingly strong Category 1.

There are places today south and east of New Orleans that look frozen in time. Houses and businesses gutted, cars in the ditch, boats on dry land. Venice (as far south as you can drive) isn't there anymore, and neither are places like Buras and Boothville.

Of course, FEMA was crawling all over Florida the year before.

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

There have been some interesting discussions on C-SPAN this week about the anniversary and how much work there is to do the bring the city back even close to where it was.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I wish I could go to sleep and wake up after the anniversary is over. These politicians jockeying for position over this makes me fucking sick. I'm talking about Bush, the assholes in the White House, Blanco, the assholes in the Louisiana Legislature, Ray Nagin and the morons running New Orleans. None of you assholes covered yourself with glory after Katrina and you all ought to be ashamed of your fuckin' selves.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know what's really weird about this?

I actually played golf as Katrina approached, and in fact, we got caught in some really bad gusts, bending over flagsticks, on the final couple of holes (dumb, I know, but a long story).

Anyway, I obviously knew what Katrina did to the Gulf Coast, but it had kind of slipped my mind that it did a lot of damage as it passed over South Florida, too...

The reason, of course, is Wilma. In South Florida, that altered a lot of lives, not on a Katrina/NOLA level, of course, but no less profound to the people who are still dealing with blue tarps and uninhabitable homes and huge insurance spikes.

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Been reading the NY Times series on Katrina-- harrowing, really. As are these 9/11 documentaries that always spring up this time of year.

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

The T-P has been running some quality anniversary stories as of late.

Here's something you can do to support the rebuilding cause. This is a little different, and I love the idea, honestly. Check it out: Go to this Web site - http://www.strength.org/- and search you zip code. There might be restaurants participating in your area. What they're doing is that part of the price of dinner will go towards helping out restaurants and the service industry along the Gulf Coast. Great idea. Go help.

7. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Interestingly, the first tropical storm of the season that will most likely affect mainland US became real today. By Tuesday, the anniversary of Katrina, Ernesto could be a hurricane ready to bear down on the central Gulf Coast.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Actually, Alberto (landfall in the Big Bend of Florida) and Beryl (passed over Nantucket) affected the U.S. mainland. They were just wuss storms.

9. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Eh, good call. Guess I'm a little off right now. I remember Beryl, but thought it was more of a swiping and less of a passing over. I totally forgot about Alberto. Hopefully Ernesto will be as non-noteworthy as the other two.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Alberto was funny because weatherunderground.com released a map that showed the likelihood of a landfalling tropical system for various parts of the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. North Carolina and Massachusetts were the big winners with "very high" chances of a landfall, but everyone had at least a medium chance ... except, of course, for the Big Bend, which got Alberto like 10 days after the start of the season. This is why "long term forecasts" and "hurricanes" don't get invited to the same parties.

Draft saved Draft deleted