1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One way to get rid of the trolls...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was on another message board and after you register, you have to wait 30 days before you have full access to the board... You can post in the meantime, but you can't start new threads until the 30 day period has passed...

I thought of this when I logged on this morning and saw about eight new threads started by the same person who has been registered for mere hours. Some message boards even restrict the number of posts "newbies" can make per day.

I think we have a pretty great community here that gets shaken up a bit when some of the trolls come in and try to take over. Webby, Moddy and Idaho do a tremendous job, a better job than anyone should realistically expect them to do, but I just thought the "restricted access" was an interesting concept and I was curious what others think.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You think that should be The Plan, so to speak. ;)

But seriously, trolls usually are just flashes in the pan, and I don't want to eliminate the practice of a long-timer opening a new account to post a serious question.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Another message board that I'm on won't let you post at all unless you're registered.  You register on-line but then one of the moderators contacts you by email and asks you to "introduce yourself" to them.  You tell them a bit about yourself and, if you know someone on the board, mention them as a reference.

Cuts down on the illiterate and the people are just bored one day and decide to have some fun.

I still think the best way to get rid of trolls is to just ignore them.  If you feed them, you never get rid of them.

4. dooley_womack1

Somehow, I don't think Webby and Moddy wanna deal with hundreds of e-mails a week of that nature.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Besudes, that doesn't address the problem of the veteran trolls with thoudans of useless posts. (No, dools, not you  ;D)

There is only one solution:

[​IMG]

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't think they would either, Dools. Ignoring is the best way to deal with the ignorant. :D

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

it could also eliminate sports editors poisting on the jobs board

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Oh, great. And I was just a few months away from 5,000. :D

9. dooley_womack1

:'( We'll miss you.

And spnited, I resemble that remark.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Can I still come to the outing?

11. dooley_womack1

Of course you can. You're grandfathered into that.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I bet I know the dickhead to whom he is referring!!! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted