1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One reason I'll remain a lapsed Catholic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, May 3, 2007.

1. JackS

JackS Member

Maybe because I left the Catholic church, boss. Makes more sense than being a Cafeteria Catholic.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, no it isn't. It's a religious school telling a person who doesn't follow their religion that she's not welcome to speak at their commencement. And last I knew, religious schools aren't required to have politicians who don't agree with their religion speak at their events. You're the one who's making it political. Someone from your side was bounced as a speaker by a private institution -- completely their right -- and you're all up in arms about it.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

The left isn't tolerant of Christian religions, with or without quote marks.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Lots of people leave the church. Lots stay. You don't get to decide who is the right level of Catholic, and neither do right-wing political handlers. you want to be a stooge, be my fucking guest.

And tony, if you refuse to engage the actual issue, I'm not going to retype it.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You really believe this? Anyone to the left of you does not tolerate Christianity?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, the Christian religion is the only one currently that is trying to impose its will on the government, which the Contitution says is a no-no.

When the Hindus demand we pass laws to make eating cows illegal or demanding buddha statues on every village square, I bet the liberals will come out swinging.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Zeke is the decider!

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Sigh

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That's a lazy-assed response, Zeke, and you know it. McCaskill has taken very public stances on issues that go against Catholic doctrine. And you're complaining because she isn't being allowed to speak at a Catholic commencement. Again, it's completely within their rights. Yet you're the one trying to paint them as political when McCaskill's stands are against their RELIGION.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I would remind people that in the grand scheme of things, at this point in our history, there's another religion that is much more of a threat to society than Catholicism, as flawed as it can be. But I won't do that because I'd be called a bigot by the more tolerant among us.

11. JackS

JackS Member

You're right. The Vatican does. No matter how many f-bombs you drop on me.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't worry pallister. I don't think Mitt Romney will win the nomination. The Mormons will be held back for another four years.

Draft saved Draft deleted