1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One reason I'll remain a lapsed Catholic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, May 3, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This is not the first time that particular bishop has taken political stances. In addition, I'm sure when he does do anything political, though I'm sure they have lobbyists instead of calls from bishops themselves, he'll pass over a call to this particular democratic senator and call up someone like Sam Brownback, who I believe is catholic.

Besides, when I graduated high school our address was given by the school's priest. Talk about a let down.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm lapsed for a lot of reasons. This isn't one of them.

But it bugs me that any "school," public or private, secular or religious, would stifle the opportunity for students to hear a U.S. Senator speak at their commencement ceremony, simply because of political differences. Sorry, that's bullshit.

I would have rather heard my home state's hard-line GOP senator than the crackpot local Realtor that I had to hear at mine. ::)

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because hiding your political beliefs behind a religious persecution complex is not only fraudulent, it's cowardly.

I will say again, in case you missed it the first time:

A person's religious beliefs need not march in lockstep with their ideas about public policy.

A person is perfectly capable of being a Catholic, being opposed to abortion, and still not thinking outlawing abortion is a good idea.

A person is perfectly capable of being a Mormon, being opposed to drinking, and still not thinking outlawing drinking is a good idea.

What's more, a person might very well disagree with the Catholic church's stance on abortion. This does not make them not a Catholic.

Just as a majority of American Catholics disagree with their church on birth control. Are all these people not Catholics?

What's more, accusing one whole side of the political spectrum of not being "tolerant" of religion is ludicrous.

The idea that "religion" is married to right wing politics is, quite simply, the biggest fraud ever perpetrated on the American public, and represents the worst kind of reactionary. lowest-common denominator, divide and conquer political bullshit in a lifetime.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Am I the only one who thought this thread would be about what the Church thinks of dooley's masturbation habits?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Then again, maybe this has nothing to do with politics from the school's point of view. McCaskill has publicly stated she's in favor of policies that go against their RELIGION, not against their POLITICS.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Did Fenian tell you to say that?

I'm not saying people don't have legitimate concerns that dictate their spiritual/religious decisions. But I suspect that for most lapsed members of any religion, the list of reasons for not participating in services goes something like this:

1. I don't want to get up that early
    2. I've got better things to do
    3. Crap, is today Sunday (or Saturday)?
    4. I'm hungover
    5. Political differences and other related issues

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

1. The Devil Made Me Do It!

8. JackS

JackS Member

Makes them Cafeteria Catholic.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Seriously, did you read my post?

JUST BECAUSE A PERSON HARBORS A RELIGIOUS BELIEF DOES NOT MEAN THEY MUST BELIEVE THAT BELIEF SHOULD BE APPLIED TO ALL PEOPLE AS A MATTER OF PUBLIC POLICY.

Believing abortion is morally wrong is a religious belief.

Believing abortion should be outlawed is a political belief.

Ergo, their beef with McCaskill is a political one, not a religious one.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No, it doesn't. You clearly haven't the first clue.

Anyone who has ever used birth control is a Cafeteria Catholic? This is your argument?

People must be in lockstep agreement with 100 percent of Papal dogma or leave the church?

And, pardon my asking, but if you aren't Catholic, who in the fuck are you to be telling other people what kind of Catholics they are?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

And the beef Dooley and others have with the Catholic church is a political one, not a religious one.

The action AND the responses are politically motivated.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My beef was with your repeating the absurd talking point that the "left" isn't "tolerant" of religion.

I don't particularly care about your musings on why people don't attend church.

Agreed. Then we all need to learn to be able to separate the two.

Draft saved Draft deleted