1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One reason I'll remain a lapsed Catholic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, May 3, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

First of all, this is a decision in an archdiocese headed by an archbishop (Burke) who said he wouldn't give communion to John Kerry. Robert Drinan had to quit Congress so he wouldn't be involved in politics. This bishop is getting involved in politics.

Abortion is one of many issues. Would archbishop Burke ban a Republican politican who voted to cut aid to the poor.

Jack S, I have a bunch of problems with the "If you don't like it, pick another religion" and "cafeteria Catholic" line of thinking.

1. First of all, Burke is one of thousands of bishops all over the Catholic Church. Some leaders are inspired and some are insipid. This is America and we express our opinions.

2. Nobody gets this religion perfect, except maybe old tony in his delusional mind - and the racist bigotry old tony has posted in the past isn't part of Catholic teaching. If you were a perfect follower of any religion, there wouldn't be much point to going to church.

3. When I was young, a haughty priest decided he was going to move our teenage Mass from the small cafeteria to the larger church. the priest was a jerk - he refused to meet with my mother when she requested an appointment over something with tuition. Well, none of the guitar players played at the Mass - the priest could make that decision, but he couldn't get people to play. This whole thing turned me off and made me a lapsed Catholic until I met my wife 13 years ago.

You know what? I was wrong. Because it's not the priest's church or Archbishop Burke's Church. It's the church of anybody who is raised in the Catholic traditions or anybody who follows it. There are other Catholic congregations in an area.

4. Seton Hall invited Ronald Reagan to speak at a commencement, somebody whose father was Catholic but, like almost every important point Reagan's life, he went with the easier and more established way. Notre Dame invited Mario Cuomo to discuss abortion. If you are a Catholic university which is serious about education, you invite different points of view so you don't become a small Chrisitian college for small Christians.

5. Senator McCaskill probably wasn't going to give a speech about stem-cell research or abortion. When John F. Kennedy ran for president in 1960, there were anti-Catholic people who pushed the ignorant logic that he would blindly follow the Pope. JFK pointed out that when he went in the Navy, he took an oath to defend the constitution. Now, this incompetent Archbishop Burke is trying to do what anti-Catholic bigots falsely said about JFK.

the Catholic Church has survived corruption in the past, and it will survive Archbishop Burke (and make no mistake about it, this isn't the school administrators, this is the archbishop.

2. According the the Second Vatican Council, the Church consists of the Holy Spirit working through the entire People of God.
    So I and my conscience feel safe in referring to Bishop Burke as a fussy old dickwad in this instance.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Please point out any racist bigotry I've posted. Ever.
    Or don't. It's not like you have any credibility to lose.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I knew of a Catholic School that doesn't let non-Catholics teach there because the Bishop doesn't want that in his Diocese... Should it be accepted on face value? No. Should it be challenged? yes. pretty much the same thing. The church leaders have their best interest, but not those of their flock, at heart

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

old tony
    Your anti-immigrant rants last year. There have been a bunch of things. You accusing me of supporting rape.

I'll match my credibility and reputation against yours on this board any day of the week.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You'll lose, too.

Is being against illegal immigration the same as being a racist in your demented world? I don't care if they're white, if they're here illegally, arrest them and deport them.

You have no credibility, gold. You prove it every time you post. After all, you think that being against illegal immigration is racist.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Because that's what Jesus would do. Right?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted