1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One reason I'll remain a lapsed Catholic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, May 3, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070502/ap_on_re_us/mccaskill_daughter_s_commencement

Students at all-girls Catholic high school in St. Louis want Sen. McCaskill (daughter is in graduating class) to speak at commencement. Archdiocese nixes it because McCaskill supports abortion rights and iis n favor of stem-cell research.

Way to teach college-bound students intellectual honesty and inquiry. And I 100 percent doubt that McCaskill would have said anything other than the platitudes that are standard at these things.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What he said.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Plus, as Marge Simpson says: "All of that standing, sitting and kneeling...It's like Simon Says without a winner!"

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

How are they being intellectually dishonest?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You have an opposing viewpoint to our doctrine. Therefore, you bad.
    You raised one of our students. Thanks for the tuition money, but we don't want your philosophy around here.

6. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, really. If a Catholic doesn't want to remain a Catholic (or go to a Catholic school) anymore because of an opposing view, fine. But a religion is under no obligation to compromise its moral beliefs.

I'm tired of people who bitch about or try to change the beliefs of an already established religion. If you don't like them, then find another religion (or school).

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's total bullshit and you know it.

A person's private religious beliefs and policy ideas do not march in lockstep.

Unless you're suggesting that Mitt Romney HAS to run on a prohibition platform.

8. JackS

JackS Member

He doesn't, but if the Church of LDS doesn't want to endorse him because he doesn't push prohibition, then that's their prerogative.

Ever heard the term "Cafeteria Catholic"? It's pejorative.

9. dooley_womack1

Boy guy and jack, a doctor taps your knee, it's liable to launch up into your jaw. If you think a school banning a viewpoint isn't being antithetical to what a school should be, then there's no common language with which to discuss this. And let's take this for what it is: The very powerful, conservative St. Louis archdiocese was dealt a political defeat in the stem-cell ballot initiative, and McCaskill won the Senate seat largely over the issue. The archdiocese, using a girl as a pawn, essentially said, "payback. This time, it's for real."

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ever heard the term douchebag? It falls under the same category, and describes people who use the latter.

I have news. 99 percent of American Catholics don't follow every last bit of dogma from Rome.

It's called having a brain.

11. JackS

JackS Member

It's not a PUBLIC school. They can teach whatever they want, whether you like it or not.

12. dooley_womack1

I just hope the Jesuits are above the bullying crap. I didn't say they couldn't send whatever message they want. I'm just saying it's against the principle of liberal education (and you damn well know I don't mean in a political sense), and against the principle of an allegedly loving church

Draft saved Draft deleted