1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of those car buying threads (FINAL DECISION MADE)...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tmayforth, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Re: One of those car buying threads (FINAL DECISION COMING SOON)...

I have a 2009 Mazda 3 hatchback. Love it. Drives great, gets OK gas mileage and has most of the bells and whistles I like.

2. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

I knew you had to buy a car and I didn't know what kind you decided on. Which ones were you picking between you made your final decision?

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

2009 Mazda 3 hatchbacks and 2008 Saturn Astras (an Opal car with Saturn rings put on it) were the final two. Really great cars. Really hard choice. Some things about the Astra were great and still make me think when they drive by. Those things drove nothing like Saturns.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They're from Opel (GM Europe), as are the Aura sedan (Opel Vectra), Sky sports car (Opel GT) and Vue small SUV (Opel Antara). The old Saturn SC/Ion series is long since dead.

5. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

I plan on calling the Nissan dealer today and letting him know that if he can find a 2008 Altima with the convenience package I want (steering wheel audio controls, etc), I would pay cash at the price listed for the one they have in stock. I figure they would bend over backwards to help me out with that request.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Geez, where were you when I was selling cars? I'd be retired by now!

7. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

I don't know if I was born yet, or old enough to drive. What are the insider's tips to help lower the price?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I ever decide to buy a newer or new car, I'm bringing my dad's partner with me so he can dicker with the dealer.

Should knock off a few quid...

9. Re: One of those car buying threads (FINAL DECISION COMING SOON)...

Find comparable cars from other dealerships and use Blue Book value on your side. And the fact that you're paying cash is the kicker. You won't have to finance the car. HAMMER THAT DOWN THEIR THROATS. They'll come off a lot.

10. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

So I went to the local car insurance agency to check out rates and the agent told me she knew of a guy who was the floor manager at a local dealership. He told her that morning he was offering great deals since it's at the end of the month.

I went down there a few hours later and met up with the guy. He showed me some cars and told me since I worked in town and since his company advertises at my paper, he wants to keep my business local.

I explained to him what I would want out of the car and deal and he told me he could price something out I would like. We sat down to talk about the Nissan Altima and he said he could get it to around $3000 less than what was asked (it would still be a bit out of my price range since I want a convenience package with it).

They had a Mazda 6 there and I told him I was planning on going to the other dealership to lay down my down payment (which I was). He asked what they were offering and what was included and went to talk to his manager.

The sales manager came over and asked me what I would want in the car and I told him. He said he would look around to his other dealerships and try to find a comparable Mazda 6, with the features I would want (Bose stereo system, sunroof, tints) for a lesser price than the other place. He went on to further say he would put in those things after market if they weren't in there already.

He loaned me the Mazda 6 he had on the lot so I could get a feel for it overnight and I must say, I like how it drives.

11. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

Well, I made my final decision and will be picking up a 2006 Honda Accord with 38K miles on it either tomorrow or Thursday (depends on when my bank loan comes through).

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Congratulations. May you enjoy it for years and years. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Draft saved Draft deleted