1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of those car buying threads (FINAL DECISION MADE)...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tmayforth, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Re: One of those car buying threads (Mazda6 vs. Toyota Camry)...

I owned a Fusion for eight months. Good car, but I can name about 10 cars I'd take in front of it. And if you're spending that amount and want a Ford, you can find deals on new Ford Escapes for about the same price. Gas mileage is similar, and the new body styles are very nice.

My best friend just bought a 2008 Nissan Altima -- an infinitely superior car to the Mazda 6, Fusion or Camry -- with 11,000 miles on it for right at $16K. I'd take that deal over any of the aforementioned cars. And chances are you can find a Honda Accord for a similar price.

Or if you're feeling dangerous, don't mind waiting a little bit and like a different look, wait for the Nissan Cube to come out. Nice machine.

Oh, and like 2mcm said, wait until the end of the month ... especially in this economy. Those dudes are more than desperate to hit that 10-car quota, and they'll make you great deals around the 29th-30th.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Re: One of those car buying threads (Mazda6 vs. Toyota Camry)...

I've seen some reviews (like this one) punching holes in the Cube. Decent look, but it's been done and overall the car's maybe not as good as the Scion xB or the Kia Soul (both of which I think are better-looking) or the Honda Fit in terms of usability.

On the other hand, I'd pay big money to see a Nissan Cube painted with squares of orange, yellow, white, red, green and blue all over the body. ;D

C'mon, you see what I did there.

3. Re: One of those car buying threads (Mazda6 vs. Toyota Camry)...

Nice.

I love the look, and I'm a big Nissan fan. I drove four American vehicles before I bought the wife and I Nissans last August (Versa for her, Sentra for me), and I may never buy another brand of car. Perhaps a Honda Element.

If I ever did buy American again, it'd be the new Camaro.

4. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

I haven't given Nissans much thought. I test drove a 2007 Camry today and it was a smooth ride. If I can get out of the office tomorrow for an hour or so, I'll try to get the to Nissan dealer and take out an Altima or Maxima. I like the look of both. Monday I'm going to give the Mazda6 a shot and soon I'll have a new car.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I have had a Camry for six years now and have had no major problems with it.

Tires, oil and general maintenance for 110,000 miles and counting.

It is the best buy that I have ever made.

6. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

Took a 2008 Nissan Maxima out and liked it, but it's a bit out of my price range. The salesman said he could knock $1500 off the sales price, but with the tax and such would still be killer. Egads.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A decade ago, someone might have encouraged you to reconsider this. My last vehicle was a Maxima with a 5-speed manual. A sedan rocket, if you will.

Now? No. Forget the Maxima. The Altima with the V-6 would be just as much fun for far less if you want to go Nissan.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'd change this to say don't settle for *any car* unless you're absolutely dead certain it's the car for you.

9. Re: One of those car buying threads (Mazda6 vs. Toyota Camry)...

Screw the Maxima. Drive the Altima.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've got the V-6 Altima. 150K miles and it runs great. It gets about 23 mpg and I usually drive around 80 most of the time on the freeway. I'd definitely buy another Nissan, but I'm hoping to break 200K with this one.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have a 2000 Sentra. Well over 120K with (no lie) no more than six oil changes. Thing still runs great.

12. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

I'm glad a lot of you are posting your testimonials with Nissans. Reading JDPower and Associates kind of scared me, but I was pleased with how the Maxima drove. If I go with a Nissan, I'll be buying a 2008 Altima.

Draft saved Draft deleted