1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of the last newspaper racing writers goes to the other side

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Oct 7, 2016.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Indy "staffs" Purdue, but technically it's splitting hairs. They use Lafayette's content.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Thinking more about it this afternoon, I wonder if Cavin is positioning to eventually take over as the IMS historian once Sam Donaldson is no longer able to fulfill the role.

3. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

You mean Donald Davidson?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think anyone would be that crazy. If you memorized the running order of every Indy 500 and could recite them at will, you'd just be scratching the surface of Donald's knowledge. He's incredible and completely irreplaceable.

5. jim lefko

jim lefko New Member

I worked with Curt for 15 years at the Indy Star, and enjoyed every minute of it. He's a pro's pro. Among the thousands of racing stories he wrote, the one I'll always think of first came in 2004 when a curious editor asked him to count the seats at the Indy Motor Speedway. After years of using 300,000 as the estimate for a full house (and seeing AP go with 400,000), Curt counted every last seat (257,000). From then on, he was "the" authority for estimating crowds because IMS would never produce a figure. Wonder who's going to guesstimate the gate from now on.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Damn. I've been reading Curt Cavin's work just about his entire career at The Star. His racing coverage the last couple of years was one of the only reasons I still bothered to check out The Star's sports page.

I'm happy for him. But as one of the sports few remaining fans, it sucks knowing that there will likely be one less place I can get consistent, quality IndyCar news.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Oops. Good catch. That's why we need copy editors!

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I wonder at non-staffed events for Gannett if they say - did not cover-CD (coach's decision).

Draft saved Draft deleted