1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of the coolest things I've ever experienced

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jeffshelman, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Would someone who's covered such a disaster please explain, to those of us who haven't, just what the newsroom is like during it?

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

What a cop-out, not sending beer.

3. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Yes, pure class.

4. KG

KG Active Member

That's awesome.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Certainly a chain letter worth passing on.

I wonder if NYC papers got packages like this after 9/11?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That is extraordinarily cool. But let's hope two boxes within 5 months of each other doesn't happen again soon.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

What a wonderful idea. Well done.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Some classy people in Roanoke so the move doesn't surprise me. Still nice to read about it, thanks for sharing.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Good for Roanoke. But we all had better pack a lunch if our newsroom is the next one covering a crisis, because the Minneapolis newspaper -- after happily shedding 70 journalists, shutting down its community foundation and axing its phone ladies and the mentally challenged employees who worked at basic jobs to provide purpose in their lives, all in slavish pursuit of a sustained profit level -- probably won't see fit to spring for more than a can of Pringles and a six-pack of Red Bull.

Pay it forward? Fat chance. Pay it into the private equity partners' pockets.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This isn't the thread to rip the Strib for recent cuts... We have at least two elsewhere...

I agree that it's a very, very classy move from Roanoke.

Early in my career I was at a paper that had to cover one of the biggest tragedies of the past decade. It was a situation where it didn't matter if you were in Sports, Entertainment, Style, Newsside or whatever... You had to cover it. Period.

Covering these tragedies can really take it out of you emotionally... When you're that stressed, even the smallest of gestures can have a really, really big impact...

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

By the way... As someone who follows college hoops more religiously than any other sport, Shelman was definitely one of the best writers around...

I have no idea who will be covering Minnesota hoops for the Strib, but I can guarantee you they won't be as good as Shelman.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Gee, great Mizzou, that's not very fair to the next man. Or woman. Take it to another thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted