1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of my grade school friends, who I haven't talked to in 35 years...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 19, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit, Starman went to high school with Joe Simpson?

That's me. I've got some FB friends from my hometown whom I've never HEARD of, never mind hung out with or befriended back when we were all 15 or 17. I always ask around to see if anyone can vouch for unfamiliar names and so far so good. I probably shouldn't friend 'em but what the hell.

Bit of a threadjack: Anyone else hoping to get a friend request from someone who was a complete douchebag to you in HS just so you can tell him or her to fuck the fuck off?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You know what's funny? I've run into guys like that from high school, and it was like we were long-separated best friends. I think part of that is that everyone is a douchebag to each other in high school. I've sat for hours reminiscing with guys from high school that I thought were assholes - or guys I thought were total dorks. The years seem to do a number, fortunately, on all of those old insecurities.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

This brings up a question for me: If you're the SE, do you friend any of your co-workers or staff? I've seen it both ways, where the SE won't and then others who will. Never knew what was standard protocol when it came to that stuff.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree completely. I was a Dorkus Supremus in high school (shocking, I know) but now I'm trading witty banter on a daily basis with some of the A-listers, some of whom gave me some grief in HS but none of whom were nasty about it. Time is the great equalizer.

All that said, there's still one guy from my HS class--the one guy who was nasty to me without even the slightest bit of good nature--I'd like to tell to fuck off. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) he still seems to dislike me and hasn't friended me yet. Damnit. Hurry up. :D

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Nope. If someone was a douchebag to me in high school, there's no way in bloody Hell I'm going to accept a friend request or send one.

I've even actively blocked a former roommate.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One guy who I can't even remember from high school friended me just to promote his construction business. Not cool. For the most part, though, it's usually been a pleasant surprise hearing from people in high school, pleasant because I don't remember my high school years being so pleasant.

My wife had to hit "hide" on a guy who right after high school dated a friend of hers. He's a guy with a tinfoil hat who thinks Glenn Beck is too cozy with Obama. After my wife posted about getting a speeding ticket, he left a long note about how it's a good thing that she isn't like him, always protesting the police and keeping tabs on the authorities, or who knows what might have happened to her. My wife had already hid him, but that doesn't stop him from commenting.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That's almost as bad as a friend who befriended me - then wanted to meet to get me into one of his Amway-like multi-level marketing schemes.

For the most part, I only befriend people I talked to and/or know/remember well. The rest can kiss my ass not because I am mean-spirited, just because I have my friends and don't have time for small talk bullshit.

8. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

A guy from my college paper friended me and I was glad to be back in touch -- until I was drowning in his nearly 500 updates a day, none of which was entertaining or funny. I noticed he had 1,000+ plus friends, so I figured I could defriend him and he would never even realize it. Didn't he message me a day or two later: "What happened? I thought we were friends! Readd me so we can catch up." So I did, this time hiding him, but he still made annoying comments and such, so I booted him again the other day, and this time I'm not adding him back.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

She can limit what he sees, so he wouldn't be able to comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted