1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One more reason to love AFLAC: No layoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Feb 6, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It and the nine other companies in the story have never laid off employees.

Some of the ideas the companies use to avoid layoffs are brilliant, and have applications in far more than just that industry.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Clicked on the link and immediately figured Publix would be on the list. My brother has worked there for 15 years. Great, great place to work. He's on better financial and career footing than his journalist brother.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Quik Trip! By far my favorite gas station.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto. We don't have 'em out here, though.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

This reminds me of the second full-time job I had out of high school. It was a family-owned print shop, and when business was slow in the early '90s, they did everything they could to get the newer employees their 40 hours each week. I worked in shipping and receiving, but for two weeks early in my tenure I did nothing but paint the factory in which the company was housed. Things picked up after that and I got back to doing my actual job, but I was glad to have two full weeks of pay despite not having any "work" to do during that time.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Publix is the best grocery store in the country unless you count the Bel Air Superstores they have in California.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

christ ... kum & go.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Most of AFLAC's work force is independent sales people and not W-2 employees who can be laid off.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I miss Kum & Go.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i do, too. but i did think ahead and bought about 50 lighters from there before i moved ... but i quit smoking, so i guess they'll last a lifetime.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

Wegmans.
    No contest. Plus they are one of the top 10 companies to work for every year.

Draft saved Draft deleted