1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

one more psu thread: THE TRANSFERRING ISSUE

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Nov 15, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Kind of depends on who's paying the bills, doesn't it?

As BB King would say, "I'm paying the cost, to be the boss."

And, I would still expect the parents to have a lot of influence on an 18-year-old's decisions.

Hell, I'm 42. I'm thankful to still have my dad around to provide good advice.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Say what you want, but I disagree with punishing the entire school for something that not everyone participated in. It may be "just a game" but I still do not see it as fair to those uninvolved.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep.

It remains to be seen how innocent the remaining members of the coaching staff are.

Nobody I have seen so far has suggested that current players are involved in any way.

Most of the coaching staff has been there for decades.

It is POSSIBLE they knew nothing, never suspected a thing, were totally blindsided by the whole thing. Possible, but that's all.

4. YankeeFan

Yes. To fucking bad for them.

Hell, didn't anyone here ever lay team sports?

One player fucks up, the whole team runs laps.

Well, this team fucked up bad. Running a few laps won't solve this problem.

This program was out of fucking control, and meanwhile, they were lauded as the cleanest program in the country.

It was a sham. A house of cards.

Putting football ahead of all else is exactly what created this problem. To continue to put football ahead of all else does not begin the healing, no matter how many candles they light.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

For some of these kids, this is their chance to go on to a bigger career in the NFL. For the others not talented enough for that, it is their chance to participate in one of the biggest sporting events they are likely to ever have in their lives. And as And if you will recall my earliest post, I think it sucks that they have to be the collateral damage.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agree on the first point. To refuse a bowl, the Big Ten and the bowl partners would have to be involved, I would think. Some bowls might not want the week of negative national publicity. But if you're the Little Cesars or Ticket City bowl (which have Big-10 tie-ins), you might not care.

7. YankeeFan

I know you disagree. Of course you do. You're thinking about the poor football players.

If you only look at it from their point of view, that's the decision you will reach.

And, you'll further enable the very thing that created the problem in the first place.

It's not fair to them, but it is only a football game.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It does suck.

No NFL team decides whether or not to draft someone on the basis of one bowl game. That's the same argument as "you're costing my kid a scholarship."

And if they don't get to participate "in one of the biggest sporting events they are likely to ever have in their lives," well ... tough shit.

They need to go complain to Sandusky, Paterno and everybody involved in the coverup.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

To the players playing the game, I do not see it as just a football game.

And don't tell me that I am only looking at it from their point of view. Nor am I only thinking about the poor football players. I am responding to one aspect of the collateral damage that is involved, pertinent to topic of this thread.

10. YankeeFan

The goal isn't to punish the football players.

I don't know if they should play the games. I don't really give a shit.

All I'm saying is, "it's not the players fault," is not an intellectual argument.

Who the fuck cares? It's not about them.

The goal has to be to change the culture in that program. If canceling the remaining games is what's necessary to do that, then the players are collateral damage.

You can't continue to put football first.

And, we still don't know how complicit this staff is.

The whole thing is fucked up, but don't argue that the players feeling are what matters here. They don't.

11. YankeeFan

Ah, sorry. I was still fired up & in a mood to argue.

Didn't realize you were saying something similar, i.e. punishment.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I responded to you inside your quote, because it was easier for me to address your comments that way. I hope that is OK.

And before anyone wants to claim I am not sympathetic to the victims, keep that thought to yourself. I am addressing the issue of the students and the players, as is the topic of this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted