1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

one more psu thread: THE TRANSFERRING ISSUE

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NCAA won't grant blanket releases unless the entire football program is completely shut down.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think the question hinges more on the message you want to send -- and is sending that message worth more than your kid's education/experience (if he wants to stay).

One of the things that made the Catholic Church wake up to their problems was the drop off at the collection plate. (Combined with the lawsuits, which as Pierce Pointed out, forced them to sell some of their best pieces of property.)

If you want PSU to get the message, if you don't want PSU to get one more dime of your money, you pull the plug. You send your kid someplace else.

And, I suppose how they handle this in the next several weeks/months, and what else comes out might help you make your decision.

If I'm Shockey's friend, I'm at least investigating it.

PSU might come out of this with its academic reputation in tact. That doesn't mean you'd be proud to be a graduate.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Perhaps you missed my earlier post?

4. marvinhall05

marvinhall05 New Member

I agree with this 100%

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

More short-term: people have asked if Penn State should decline a bowl invitation, or will bowls not invite them.

That might not be possible. To the best of my knowledge, any team in a BCS conference cannot decline a bowl invitation. They're contractually obligated to play if eligible, and invited as a part of the conference bowl selection process. If Penn State doesn't win the Big Ten, the next four in order are Cap One, Outback, Insight, Gator. Cap One and Outback are subject to a two-loss rule (If Penn State finishes 9-3, they can't pass them for a 7-5 team). Also, Big Ten championship game loser can't fall below the Gator.

Wonder which city (Orlando, Tampa, Jax) will hold their nose and take Penn State. One of the might have to.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I think it just sucks that the players and other student fans of the football program would get "punished" for something that is not their fault.

7. Starman

If they win the BTCG, they will be locked into the Rose Bowl.

I think the Big Ten will "allow" (i.e. order) them to refuse any other invitations.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

And it sucks for the players and student supporters if they were "allowed" or "forced."

9. Starman

Too bad.

The last thing the Big Ten wants is 3-4 more weeks of incessant everyday regurgitation of the whole thing (a lot of it will be unavoidable and will happen anyway but it will be way worse if PSU is in a bowl game).

Plus it has to be considered a non-zero possibility additional knowledge or complicity on the part of the current staff could come to light, which would be an even worse disaster. What if they accept a bid to a BCS game on Jan. 1 and it comes out on Dec. 18 that certain members of the staff knew all along, knew for years, and fully enabled Sandusky's activities?

The Big Ten can't allow that to happen.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Well, if your child is a student there, he or she is over 18 and therefore legally an adult. He or she should be the one to make the decision, not the parents. It's the student's life.

That said, a degree is a degree. The negative PR impact understandably makes some ashamed, but it's still checking the "yes" box on the application question that says "do you have a four-year college degree?"

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but this is the weakest of all the arguments that have been made, and it's been made by a lot of folks all week.

People suffer consequences for the actions of others all the time. It happens in team sports more often than in any other setting.

The star QB is suspended for breaking a rule, or not making his grades. The whole team suffers.

Part of the commitment you make when you join a team is to do your part, to make sure the team does not suffer due to your actions (or inaction).

Paterno & McQueary made that commitment, and they failed. If their team gets punished as a result, well, that's what happens.

And, really, it's so much more than that.

It was the culture of the entire football program that created this problem. Even the current players have, and will, benefit from this culture.

They're adored by fans. They get laid more than the chess team captain. They'll have better job opportunities.

They likely have had better housing, better meals, better weight room, etc. than the average student.

The whole system has to change.

To not begin implementing those changes, because some kids won't get to play a couple of football games is ridiculous. How do you drive home the idea that child rape is more important than football, when the concern is for the football players and their precious games?

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Too bad for who? The innocent players and students attending the university?

Draft saved Draft deleted