1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

one more psu thread: THE TRANSFERRING ISSUE

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Nov 15, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've heard several commentators opine that the ncaa should allow any player who wants to transfer out of penn state do so without having to sit out a year, as all transfers must.

a bigger question that hits closer to home, since one of middle son shockey's best buds is a freshman at psu and the kid's parents are among our closest friends:

if your child was attending penn state, given the unfortunate stigma attached to the school -- what's the FIRST thing folks will think of when you say you go to penn state? -- would you want him/her to transfer out? for two reasons, i vote 'yes': i don't want my kid attending a school that is becoming a punch-line and i wouldn't want to be giving this school my hard-earned money anymore.

what does everyone here think? all i keep thinking is how proud middle son's amigo was when he opted for penn state, loving the positive reaction it would get from folks largely because of its gootball team, joe pa's pristine image, etc. now he's among to kids admitting he's 'embarrassed' by the turnaround in the school's image and once-proud name. 'WE ARE ... EMBARRASSED TO BE... PENN STATE' is not a catchy tune..I

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that regular students can just transfer and not lose credit from other institutions.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, no doubt. hope i wasn't that unclear; i'm just asking if you would want your child to transfer from psu asap in light of all this. there are hundreds of colleges to earn a degree from and to give your money to. so would you encourage your child to get outta there to avoid further embarrassment instead of the immense pride they had in their school now that it's being proven to be a sham? i mean, what kid can feel good about saying he attends penn state thee days?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gotcha - just having some fun with ya Shock. I understood what you meant. :)

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think transferring would be a terrible overreaction. That there was something unbelievably rotten going on in the football program at Penn State does not mean that the education being delivered to nearly 45,000 students is a sham. It doesn't mean that the nearly $780 million in research funding has been misdirected. Penn State is, and will remain, a highly regarded academic institution. That its academic reputation has been comingled with its athletic reputation is unfortunate given recent revelations, but the hit taken by the academic side will be very short-lived.

Let me put this in human terms. I have a former classmate who is an assistant professor at the main campus and he is up against some serious expectations regarding his research output. I strongly suspect his chances at being tenured are very slim because his output of late hasn't been up to Penn State's standards. I can assure you that in these last few days his tenure case hasn't gotten stronger simply because Penn State's reputation has taken a hit.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

none of this is the point. which is why every upstanding educator at psu is understandably outraged and reeling. rightheaded, wrongheaded, matters not. the guttural reaction to the words 'penn statee' will be a negative one for a long time. a reaction the upstanding educators and students do not deserve, by any means, but must brace themselves for. if your child is a student there, is it worth the trouble? i say nay.., fully aware others will disagree. which is why i raise the issue for discussion.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As I wrote, the hit to the academic reputation will be very short-lived. Thus my contention that transferring would be a terrible overreaction. Indeed, by the time a transfer could be completed, the greater world will, in my estimation, be well along in the process of disconnecting the academic and athletic facets of Penn State's reputation.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think a sports scandal (even as big as this one) dimishes someone's degree.

It's a very good school. That hasn't changed.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're a football player there, I would transfer immediately. The regular students? I think that would be an overreaction.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i hear ya.just unsure if i'd feel differently if my kid was going there. glad he's not and i can just judge from afar.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Academic hit? WTF? Penn State is still regarded as one of the finest institutions in the country. A Penn State degree is still prestigious.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

If I had the game film, some snaps, more than three stars coming out of high school and could transfer to a top 30 program, why not?

It will take an immediate massive homerun hire (e.g. Urban Meyer) to right the ship asap before attrition of your existing roster/attrition of your potential upcoming rosters have a chance to set in.

Penn State, IMO, can ill afford to pussyfoot around and go through a coach or two (e.g. Nebraska between Osborne-Pellini, Bama post-Stallings-Saban, Vols, post-Fulmer TBD). Rebuild while you have decent numbers/stats so you won't have to be like Derek Dooley who told everyone that last season was Year Zero and that 2012 is Year One b/c the roster was/is so fucked from a few years of neglect and poor decision-making. Get out the checkbook for a high-caliber coach while there's still money in the bank before settlements and civil suits kick your school's ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted