1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One More Duggar!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 17, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

When I first heard about this it was really hard for me, because her due date wasn't that far from mine. At the point where she miscarried she was well beyond the "normal" time a person usually miscarries in a pregnancy. To hear about someone miscarrying that far along was frightening. Even though I was starting to feel the baby move, I still couldn't breathe a sigh of relief until my next ultrasound.

Now, thank God, he kicks the crap out of me all the time, so I get daily relief that everything still seems OK.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That not very smart person is the Howard Stern of SJ.

edited so I don't get a vacation from Moddy. :D

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They are producing offspring with reckless disregard of their lives (or potential lives if you will), in order to use the corpses as media props.

"Pigs" is a perfect description. Probably generous.

If you go strictly by the hardcore-fundamentalist definition (which of course the Duggars flog at every opportunity) of fetal life, they're guilty at the very least of reckless endangerment, more likely of negligent manslaughter. Or worse, since they're planning the whole reality-show circus.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure she intentionally got pregnant so she'd miscarry in order to have a media prop. Maybe they set the whole thing up over what, 25 years ago, when they had their first. "Hey, if we keep having babies, maybe after 12-15 we'll get on TV! Maybe then we'll have a dead one we can show the world!"

These people are obviously committed to their faith and the whole "quiver full" thing. They were self-sustaining before reality TV existed and had well over 10 kids before they had a show. They're not doing it for TV.

If it upsets you that much, don't click the link, and certainly don't watch the show. If it wasn't for this place I'd have never heard of them or have any idea that they had a TV show. It doesn't take much to avoid them, that's for sure.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Some people are just tabloid posters, that's all.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If the Duggars don't want this kind of attention, why are they on TV?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the Duggars didn't bring the miscarried fetus home in a pickle jar, unlike Rick Santorum and Barbara Bush.

8. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

As a feminist, the Duggars are a difficult topic.

Choice means choice: Having the opportunity to choose what to do with your life. Choose to get pregnant, or not, and choose what to do with that pregnancy. A core concept of feminism is trusting women to make their own decisions -- not just about pregnancy, but about everything.

So the feminist thing to say about the Duggars would seem to be "more power to them."

However, the details of the situation (particularly the religious submission factor) call into question if Michelle really has a choice or equal say.

There's also a great deal of concern about the family's daughters, especially the older ones: they didn't have a choice but to become their family's babysitters. And they have not been given the choice to exist outside the family sphere (through school, work, friends, etc.). They have been given less say in their lives than Michelle.

And back to the parents, with choice comes responsibility. They have a responsibility to ensure any child they create can be provided for physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc. And if they have a disabled child, they need to think about providing for that person not just for 18 years, but for their lifetime.

It's hard to simultaneously embrace feminism and extend those principles to those who eschew feminism.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You really believe the Duggars are aware of the SportsJournalists.com board?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I am so going to hell. When waterytart mentioned ovaries giving out, all I could picture was the Bluesmobile collapsing in a heap.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Do you really believe this message board is the only place online or off where people discuss the Duggars?

Draft saved Draft deleted