1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-hit wonders: Movie edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Mar 20, 2012.

1. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

A bit of an offshoot from the typecast actors thread.

I was thinking of actors, current or past, who were fantastic in a particular role but have pretty much sucked in everything else. Stephen Baldwin came to mind in the Usual Suspects. Thought he did a decent job as the psychopath McManus. Ashley Judd was great in Ruby (I think it was Ruby ... indie flick from about 15 years ago set in Panama City). JLo in Out of Sight. Michael Richards as Kramer. Eh, those are mine. Who ya got?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Brad Renfro was great in The Client.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Wilson in Cast away. Never really seemed to catch on with anything else.

But seriously, the leader in this category has got to be Mark Hamil. Yes he's done a ton of voice over work for tv, but if we're talking movie roles to go from the lead in the biggest trilogy of a generation to voice over work that 90% of which no one would have a clue its him unless they read the credits to me sings one-hit wonder.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I think a lot of child actors would fit the category: Macaulay Culkin, Haley Joel Osment, Henry Thomas.

I love Ashley Judd, but I've never seen Ruby. Kiss the Girls would be the one I'd think of first in a word association.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Or maybe three-hit wonder? :D

If he'd only had profit participation in those three movies, he wouldn't have to do voice-over work today.

At least he doesn't have to wonder how his career might have been different if he hadn't quit "Eight is Enough" to do "Star Wars." His replacement in the TV series, Grant Goodeve, doesn't have much of a career any more either.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He got that part from his terrific performance in Side Out.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    First film. First Oscar.

And he was not even an actor by trade.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was the only movie Peter Ostrum (who played Charlie) was ever in. That's a pretty good one-and-done.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was thinking Almost Famous as well, but for Patrick Fugit. He hasn't really done much since being William Miller.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And it was also, by far, the best thing Matthew McConaughey has ever been involved in.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. The part didn't have as much prominence as Side Out or Castaway but he had a nice cameo in Top Gun. Stole the scene, in fact.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Ashley Judd and Kate Hudson, while not Meryl Streep by any stretch are a bit better than one-hit wonders.

Patrick Fugit is a good call. Henry Thomas is a good call.

Draft saved Draft deleted